Sick Yellow Tang

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That is a serious bacterial infection. What are the water conditions in your tank?
This fish will need treatment with Maracyn Two for Saltwater fish in an established quarantine tank.

z06 vette

Thanks for responding, this is a fish from a friend that is in another site. No one there seemed to know what it was so I figure I can try here. Last he posted the water parameters were;
nitrate 0ppm
pH 8.4
nitrite 0ppm
ammonia 0ppm
Alk 2.8
salinity 1.021
temp 78
Also not sure if he has an established QT, if he does not can it be treated in the main tank or is he going to have to set a QT and hope for the best.

bungles

that is my tang i just signed up on these boards. so i do not have a qt tank and i have a few other fish in my tank with the tang r they infected to. should i just use the med in the whole tank. please help.
30 gal
cleaner shrimp
clown
blue/green chromis
yellow tang

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that medication is the correct one...the one for saltwater fish, not fresh.
Yea, links to stores are not allowed, but...I guess you can say this is one of the situations that a fish's life rules out.
You can not add medications to a display tank.
The quarantine should be cycled, and if you are just setting it up, its obviously not cycled. Use 100% water from the display to fill the hospital tank. It will be extremely difficult to maintain water quality in an uncycled tank. Be prepared for many water changes, daily. Keep the lights off in the quarantine but still have room lighting. You can turn tank lights on about an hour before feeding, and during feeding of course.
Is this fish still eating?
When you transfer the fish to the quarantine, do not net him and remove him from water. Instead corral him into a ziplock that is filled with water and submerged in the tank. Since your hospital tank will be the same a your display water, no need for acclimation. Just make sure the temp in the two tanks are the same.
Likely there will be no problems with your other fish, as long as this problem with the tank is not due to poor tank environment.

bungles

yes thanks beth. but i havnt medicated yet and the red seems to b going away. hmmm im stil going to get a qt tank. thanks again

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by bungles
http:///forum/post/3219031
yes thanks beth. but i havnt medicated yet and the red seems to b going away. hmmm im stil going to get a qt tank. thanks again
Try doing daily water changes and see if it resolves.

deejeff442

the other forum must be pretty bad because this is an easy diagnosis.
like beth said maracyn two in a qt.it usually works pretty quick but so doe the bacteria killing the fish .i would get on it today.
on your main tank is their a hob filter?or any sponges?
you could transfer them to the qt and already have some good bacteria to keep an ammonia spike down to a minimum.also get some amquil plus in case of an ammonia spike.

hunt

just curius but are you saying that if i had somthing like a red tree sponge i could put it in a cycling tank and it wouldnt die and it would speed up the proccess?

bungles

getting my tank today setting it up hopefully the fish will hang on till the tank gets cycled. if i use the water from my big tank i wont have to wait as long will to cycle?

jam1e

Originally Posted by Hunt
http:///forum/post/3220271
just curius but are you saying that if i had somthing like a red tree sponge i could put it in a cycling tank and it wouldnt die and it would speed up the proccess?
no, he's talking about a filter sponge. There would be beneficial bacteria growing in it if it was in an established tank and would speed up the cycling process a great deal.