Silencing a reef tank?

csrobe02

Hey im building a 120 gallon display (48" x 24" x 24"). Stand and canopy are DIY... the overflows are 2004 kit from AGA (all glass aquarium), and the back of the stand will be open. I was thinking about putting up styrofoam eggcrate all along the inside to absorb any noise. If anyone has any suggestions or comments feel free to reply.
Thank you

eg_hatch

Yea, I was wondering if I could put the styrofoam IN my sump, underneath my pump to silence it..Anybody do that?

csrobe02

yea, ive overcome the ovrflow problem...AGA makes a kit that has the same standpipes and everything reay to go, i was wondering mainly for the equipment that will be underneath the tank, sump pumps, skimmer, reactors...etc, i know these things arent terribly loud but the tank will be in the living room and i dont want it to make any noise at all. :)

banshee

Sorry....can't help you there. But, I can tell you about my setup. I have my water draining into my sump below the water line and the skimmer water is coming out against the wall of the sump. It's not silent, but it's as good as it's going to get, I guess. I don't know if you will be able to silence it completly, but some slight adjustments might make it bearable.

skirrby

cool. tell us how lol.. my tank is noisy.. and its in my bedroom.. but ive gotten so used to the sound i auctully kinda find it soothing. although quiet would be nice to.

nicky1.8t

check out a circuit city and pick up some dynomat it is for car audio but it sounds proofs well i dont think it would be good to get it in the water imo.

sandman12

i just "twiked" it all out. Put a pad on the bottom of my pump. set all the ball valves perfect and its soundless (is that a word,LOL). I bet i could fix any tank noise, its like my second hobby now :D .

skirrby

i can keep my skimmer silent, but the pump vibrating off the bottom of the sump is another story.. i think the overflow on my tank makes the most noise though
how much would it cost to make a diy durso standpipe

sandman12

i made my return line a little sort so the pump is acually off the sump. I would say my 135 system is more quite then my seaclone skimmer. U can make a durso for less than $5.