Silent Protein Skimmer?

nigerian

Are there any protein skimmers out there that are pretty quiet? lol I bought the coralife skimmer and decided not to use it because it's kinda loud and bulky. My tanks in my bedroom and right now, everything is quiet when I'm sleeping. Oh btw, it needs to be a hang on cuz I have a canister filter.

dragonzim

AquaC Remora's are fairly quiet. Plus, there's a little trick you can do with some folded up paper towels to make them even quieter.

nigerian

What do you think of those other "no name" brands that are similar to the aquac remoras? Great price comparison.

brucoh

The Deltec MCE600 is the quietest HOB skimmer. Not sure about the new MCE300 but it's pretty much the same design so it's probably pretty quiet too. My MCE600 only has a faint hum to it. The noise level and the fact that the pump is located in the skimmer itself and not hanging in the tank were the reasons I bought it.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by Nigerian
What do you think of those other "no name" brands that are similar to the aquac remoras? Great price comparison.
I can't really compare them since I've only personally used a Remora. I have a friend with a CPR backpack and the Remora is much quieter.

cgrant

I would not skimp on the skimmer!
I have 2 ss220's on my 210 that i got used for a good price so i run them for now and they are doing fine.
I am wanting an etss skimmer but i just got lights and calcium reactor not log ago and if i buy anything else the wife is gonna throttle me!

I got a deal I couldnt pass up...when it comes time i am just going to sell my ss220's and get the etss skimmer.
my point to this is you can get by on the less expensive skimmers but i wouldnt buy them new...

rabid frog

I just got a ESV 120 for 100.00 slightly used w/pump. Just wait long enough and you can find some good deals.

Originally Posted by DragonZim
AquaC Remora's are fairly quiet. Plus, there's a little trick you can do with some folded up paper towels to make them even quieter.

Um....TRICK???? What trick? I would love to make mine completely silent!! (It's fairly silent to begin with... especially when compared to my HOB filter on my other tank - in the next room!!)

dragonzim

Originally Posted by marcelostank
Um....TRICK???? What trick? I would love to make mine completely silent!! (It's fairly silent to begin with... especially when compared to my HOB filter on my other tank - in the next room!!)
Take 2 sheets of paper towel and fold them up so that they are about 3 inches by 8 inches. Take the collection cup out of the skimmer and stuff the paper towel down over and around the spray nozzle. Put the cup back in. Once the paper towel gets wet it will act as an insulator for the noise that the injection nozzle makes. It doesnt make it totally silent but I'd say on mine that it cut at least 50% of the noise. Just replace the paper towel every month or so.

Originally Posted by DragonZim
Take 2 sheets of paper towel and fold them up so that they are about 3 inches by 8 inches. Take the collection cup out of the skimmer and stuff the paper towel down over and around the spray nozzle. Put the cup back in. Once the paper towel gets wet it will act as an insulator for the noise that the injection nozzle makes. It doesnt make it totally silent but I'd say on mine that it cut at least 50% of the noise. Just replace the paper towel every month or so.
get outta here!!! my desktop computer makes more noise than my nozzle!! maybe I should clean it? i'll try that out if i ever need complete silence..
Thanks for the tip!