Silica Free Sand?

chrisnif

I'm looking for cheap *DEAD* non-silica sand. The stuff at the blue and the orange home improvement chains are like 90% silica per the MSDS. I have found a place that sells it online but its crazy, i could buy live from the ocean sand for that kind of price after shipping. Do any of the kids stores maybe sell silica free sand for kid sandboxes now that silica is a scary word for parents...
Thanks in advance for the help guys. I know there are limitations for posting competitor stuff so do what you can.
Thanks again

btldreef

If you're putting it in your tank, spend the extra money and get marine ready sand. Sand box sand almost always has silicates in it.

scsinet

Silica and silicates are not the same thing.
That said, I wound't use sand in my tank for any reason. Unlike Aragonite, it has no buffering capabilities and can foul very easily. The marginal savings isn't worth it IMO.

haktran

I found some white playsand at Lowe's. It said 99% free of Silica. Not sure if it is a good stuff. You can check it out if you have Lowe's at your location.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3184445
Silica and silicates are not the same thing.
That said, I wound't use sand in my tank for any reason. Unlike Aragonite, it has no buffering capabilities and can foul very easily. The marginal savings isn't worth it IMO.
Yeah, and you really save on baking soda!

peasofme

whats it called and what is it made of? i heard some sand is made out of quartz but i forgot if its any good.