Silicate source?

sleeri

I recently have been battling a major diatom outbreak. As I understand it Diatoms thrive when they have a silicate source. I'm wondering where the stuff would be coming from in my tank. I have a 55 gallon with 1 royal gramma, 2 small clown fish, 2 fire fish, and a small cleanup crew. I have 35-40 pds of LR and about 60 pds of aragonite sand and I use RO water.
I should also mention that I moved the tank about 3 months ago. Everything was absolutely perfect until about a month ago and then my tank started turning brown at a very disturbing rate. I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

sleeri

Possibly, but then I'm wondering why it would have taken 2 months to materialize? I also didn't notice any spikes in the usual suspects.

standish

Well, the only reason I brought it up, is that diatoms usually tend to follow the cycle.
If you are sure your sand is 100% aragonite, then I don't know where silicates would be entering the picture either. :notsure:
Perhaps a fighting conch might be a good addition.

sleeri

You could be right about the cycle thing. Maybe I'll just have to wait it out. I've already got a small counch (1 inch) and I don't think he can keep up. Thanks for your help.