silicone on rock

valgae

Anyone ever use silicone to glue rock together?? I just bought an 210 and the guy gave me about 150lbs of dry dead base rock. i know silicone is safe, but will it hold securely??
Also when plumbing a closed loop should each side from the pump have a ball valve and a union??

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALgae http:///t/393547/silicone-on-rock#post_3501640
Anyone ever use silicone to glue rock together?? I just bought an 210 and the guy gave me about 150lbs of dry dead base rock. i know silicone is safe, but will it hold securely??
Also when plumbing a closed loop should each side from the pump have a ball valve and a union??
Silicone could probably be used to hold rocks together, but structurally doing certain "aquascape" ideas I wouldn't rely on silicone though.....I think there would be more secure methods that could be used......
As far as you question on ball valves and unions.....My answer is yes there should be valves and unions on both ends.....I say this for when you pull the pump for maintenance you can shut the water flow off from the sump to the pump with minimal spillage, and also on any possible back flow from your return lines.....With that said to save yourself space I'd consider or opt for tru union ball valves.......