Silly, quick question about water changes

Ok, please humor me here for a moment.

Is there any difference in doing really small, really frequent water changes (like 5 gallons a day or every other day) versus an all out larger water change once a week? I keep 20 gallons of water "cooking" at a time for water changes. And I have a 150g semi-reef (no difficult stuff)/fish tank - so would 15-20g in 5 gallon increments over a week change out be different than a big, once a week 15-20g change out?
It's soooo much easier to come home, check on the fish, and do a quick 5 gallon change out than to do the whole thing on one day. I don't have to turn off pumps and seems like it would cause less stress on the fish.
Does it matter or not? I just want to keep them happy & the water clean. Or should I just shut up and just do it anyway I like? (w/ RO/DI aged salt water of course)

Just curious, haven't seen this addressed before.

big

Good issue to bring up. We all have our ideas but I do a small change every 4 or 5 days and once a month or so ( depends on prams and how lazy I feel) a much larger one........The 5 gallon bucket of water just makes the small one done more often A easier way for me too..........

flricordia

My firstg and best nano reef ever was a 20 long, way back in the early 90s when FL LR was availabel. I had a bare bottom (the tank, not me) and a perforated spray bar along the back that blew all the detritus/debris to the front. Every morning I syphoned off a qt and replaced it with new salt water. That was my water changes and it was one of the best reefs I have ever had. I had bunches of X-mas tree worms on the LR that even spawned one morning while I sat there watching.
I vote very small daily, but weekly, biweekly, monthly is fine also. Each system reacts differently.
The secrete to a successful reef is finding maintainance system what works best for it and STICKING
to it.

unleashed

I dont know of any actual disadvantages of doing multiple water changes weekly other than possibly stirring up the substrate a bit each time and being somewhat time consuming on your behalf.. but I dont see any advantage of it either.. so i guess unless it becomes a problematic issue for you .. i dont see it harmfull.. but this is just MO

ilovemytank

I don't think there is a difference but I'd love to offer a suggestion on making your water changes simple. For my suggestion I will explain what I do and others can add to it. If you don't like it, my feelings won't be hurt either:
I have two 55 gallon trash cans on wheels. Inside them are marked off in 5 gallon increments. One is to make my new water. I put the salt in along with a dedicated mag 7 that mixes and moves the water. I take the other to my tank. I turn off the filters. I drop in another ( different ) mag 7 that has a 10' tube attached to it. I pump out 35 gallons from my sump/refugium. By the way in the other can I'm only mixing 35 gallons. The reason why I use 55 gallon cans on wheels is because I can roll them to a sink area and not worry about water splashing all over the place. I wish I had the benefit like some other members to have a dedicated sink but I don't. When the can of old water is at the sink I take the mag 7 that I used to drain the water and drop it into the can and pump the water down the drain. I then move the can with the water over to the tank, drop in the mag 7 with the hose and pump the water into the sump. The whole process takes 30 minutes if that.

snakeblitz33

I don't do water changes on any of my personal tanks for well over six months to a year. I occasionally dose strontium and iodide and magnesium and I definately keep an eye on and dose calcium and alkalinity daily. Other then that, no water changes.
I barely have any fish, maybe one or two...
For most of my clients, I do a water change anywhere from once a week to once a month.
Conceivably, it would be better for the fish to do smaller water changes. This allows the fish to get adjusted to the chemistry a lot better then larger water changes.

Cool, thanks for all the input! I gotta say I love coming here for the info. Hopefully someday I can give back too.
I'll keep up the small, frequent changes since it sounds better for the fish and doing it that was is easier on me.

fish4rudy

I agree that Smaller, more frequent water changes are the way to go. I think people fall into the 10 % a month trap and become lazy. It still works and I guess we are all seeking sucess on differant levels.

spanko

IMO think of it in terms of the chemistry of the water. Calcium, alkalinity, mag, iodine etc. If you do small frequent changes you are replenishing less of a loss in these on a faster basis.

sueandherzoo

I'm by no means disagreeing with the train of thought that smaller/more frequent water changes are better but want to offer what I was told by someone much more experienced than me. This guy has "to die for" tanks all over his house and provides livestock to stores and groups . . . the only reason I was able to purchase from him was because I was part of a large "group buy" run by my local reef group. While I was there he was educating me on building a good set up, maintenance, etc. and said that he believes less frequent, LARGE water changes are more productive. He explained it in mathematical terms in that when you do a small water change and then a few days later do another one, you are basically changing out some of the new water so the amount "changed" is less. Then a few days later you do another small one and you have decreased the actual amount of "bad" water out by even more, so each small change you do is incrementally less and less beneficial. If you change 25% of the water in a 100 gallon tank you're replacing 25 gallons. If you change 25% again a week later you're basically only changing 25% of 75 gallons, which is less than 19 gallons of "fresh" water, and the next week when you change 25% the actual water changed is even less, etc. He says he does a BIG water change once a month.... like 75 - 80% of his water.
Again, I have NO IDEA if that is better or worse, but it's what he does and recommends to his customers. He feels small water changes aren't really worth the effort and become less productive if you're doing them often.
I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts on that theory.
Sue

spanko

From Scott Fellman at WetWebMedia. (Just adding another view point.) Good info Sue!!!! Just shows that there are many ways to a good tank!
"One of the best things that we can do to assure continuing success with our captive marine systems is to perform regular water changes. So very simple, yet so amazingly beneficial! Water changes achieve several valuable things, including the dilution of dissolved organic wastes, nutrient export, and replenishment of trace elements, just to name a few. When performed on a regular basis, water changes provide the inhabitants of the closed marine system a stable, consistent environment. And, environmental stability is one of the keys to success in our hobby!
Water changes tend to be viewed by most hobbyists as a necessary evil; a practice that we begrudgingly embrace to achieve a modicum of success with our aquariums. Many hobbyists will do the occasional 10%-25% water change once a month, once every couple of months, or even less often (oh, the horror!)! There is, however, a better way!
5% Twice A Week. That’s All I Ask!
As I just asserted, one of the primary benefits of the water change in a closed system is the dissolution of dissolved organics in the water. In the closed system, fish wastes and other organics are broken down by the beneficial bacteria that reside in the sand bed, live rock, and filter media. However, over time, the end products of the biological filtration process (nitrate and phosphate, in particular) tend to accumulate in the system. The accumulation of these products can lead to significant degradation of your tank’s water quality, and a reduction in the pH of the tank water. The key to eliminating this problem is, of course, regular water changes! If done consistently, regular small water changes can help dilute organic wastes before they ever have an opportunity to accumulate in your system. Trace elements will be replenished with fantastic regularity. Think of the money that you’ll save by not having to purchase all of those additives you’ve been using!
“Ok“, I can hear you saying, “I get the picture…Regular water changes are a good idea. But how much do I have to change…And how often?” Less than you think…but more often than you’d assume! My recommendation for an easy-to-accomplish, highly beneficial water change regimen is to perform two 5% water changes per week. “Twice a week! What a pain! Is this guy nuts?” Well, yes, but that’s another topic for another time! Seriously, though, this is a lot easier to accomplish than you might think.
Think about it. Five percent of your tank volume (that’s only 5 gallons in a 100 gallon tank, or just 2.5 gallons in a 50 gallon tank), performed on, say, Wednesday and Sunday. By following this routine, you’re aquarium’s inhabitants are never more than 3 days from the next water change…and that is some serious frequency, my friends! However, this is not a daunting task, by any means. In fact, you can perform an efficient water change in as little as 10 minutes (Trust me here- I timed it!) . Using decidedly “low tech” methods, you can create a healthy, stable environment in your aquarium. When I say “low tech”- I mean it! We’re talking a flexible
plastic hose, nothing more! Sure, you could use one of those fancy store-bought numbers, but the tubing works just fine for me!
Obviously, when conducting the water change, you need to be sure to utilize high quality source water (such as RO/DI water), a good salt mix, and similar specific gravity, temperature, and pH. Environmental consistency is extremely important, and conducting water changes in a manner that breeds consistency will assure stability in your aquarium! Another side benefit of frequent small water changes is that you are “involved” with your tank on a rather “intimate” level, on a very regular basis. You’ll see what’s really going on in your tank, notice changes or sudden problems, and be able to correct them in a rapid manner. You’ll save money on additives, too! Rather than spend tons of cash on lots of different trace elements, additives, and assorted vitamin products, you’ll be able to replenish the majority of these compounds through these frequent water changes. Sure, you may need to supplement calcium, iodine, and possibly, a few other compounds which your animals utilize on a daily basis, but you’ll use far less of them in many cases.
Continued

spanko

And, while you’re making these regular water changes, why not use the opportunity to empty the collection cup and clean the neck of your protein skimmer (you do use one, right?), replace chemical filtration media , and clean mechanical filter pads and/or filter “socks”? By cleaning the mechanical media within your system often, you’ll help prevent detritus and organics from building up within them, which can measurably degrade water quality if left unattended.
Most amazing of all will be the noticeable results in your aquarium: Fishes will display brighter colors, eat better, and be more alert and active than you’ve ever seen them! Corals and invertebrates will display significant improvement in color, growth, and recovery following imposed propagation techniques. You’ll enjoy a whole new dimension of success with your system. Water parameters will remain more stable, nuisance algae will begin to disappear from your system, and your tank will take on a visual clarity that will astound you! All in all, your system will benefit enormously from the employment of these frequent, small water changes. Give them a try, and watch your system thrive as never before!"

D

dennis210

I have an interesting theory on water changes. Smaller systems with a total volume of water less than 50 gallons (display, sump, fuge) need a weekly or 10 day water change of at least 10 %. Larger systems of 50 to 150 gallons of total volume need a water change of 10% every two weeks or once a month at minimum. Tanks with over 150 gallons of system water need a once a month water change of 20%. Smaller volume of water can tolerate less time before occupants feel the changing chemistry. So smaller frequent water changes. Larger volume of water tolerates more time before occupants feel the water changes, but a larger volume will be needed to change chemistry. I believe (for myself and my systems) testing at least weekly, dripping Kalk, adding weekly for net losses in alk & Ca, topping up with fresh RO, cleaning skimmer weekly (makes them work better), allows for a once a month 30 - 35 gallon water change in my sytem of 220 gallons.
Everyone needs to find a routine and habits that works best for their system

wildman1

Would it not be best to do both? If you only do large water changes your gonna have big swings in levels. If you only do small water changes the math is correct, you remove less bad water each change.
If you do small changes on a regular basis and a large change say once every other month you solve all problems.

How about small, frequent changes ... monitoring as I go. Then reserve a big change only if there is a need for it? I can see the point of lets say 5 gallons three times a week doesn't truly add up to a 15 gallon change at the end of the week ... ie you're pulling some of that new water out as part of the 5 gallons interval. But, is that off set by the fact that by doing small, freq changes helps to keep chem levels even... even causing less stress from playing in the water so to speak?
Interesting discussion. Hmmm.... might try it one way for a month & see how my parameters are then switch for a month. Then quiz the locals to see what they prefer.

sueandherzoo

I'll be tagging along on this thread to see which works better for you (and others). As with everything else in this hobby, the right way is probably what works best for YOU! If you tell someone they must do twice a week water changes but that doesn't fit into their lifestyle then once a month is definitely better than not at all. I think. LOL Being a newbie to all this I'm still establishing a "routine" and haven't quite figured out what it is yet. I'm still putzing, rearranging, swapping livestock in and out of tanks, doing water changes as I go, etc. I can't imagine NOT doing something with the tanks on a daily basis but at some point I would assume the "putzing" slows down. (doesn't it?!?!?)
Sue

big

putzing slows down............. Hum, if we are not "Putzing" over our tanks we would be just like the rest of the world............... This so-called Hobby soon becomes an "Obsession" for the rest of your life.......... Just ask my wife.........
The water changes, cleaning coralline and testing to name just a few never go away..........

prime311

Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo
http:///forum/post/2843365
He explained it in mathematical terms in that when you do a small water change and then a few days later do another one, you are basically changing out some of the new water so the amount "changed" is less. Then a few days later you do another small one and you have decreased the actual amount of "bad" water out by even more, so each small change you do is incrementally less and less beneficial. If you change 25% of the water in a 100 gallon tank you're replacing 25 gallons. If you change 25% again a week later you're basically only changing 25% of 75 gallons, which is less than 19 gallons of "fresh" water, and the next week when you change 25% the actual water changed is even less, etc. He says he does a BIG water change once a month.... like 75 - 80% of his water.

Sorry to say this makes no sense logically(mathematically) and if you extrapolated it out over years it would also be saying that water changes would eventually be completely useless which we know is not true.
While it does make sense to say that a 10% a week change will remove less, for example Nitrates, then a 40% a month change. That does not mean smaller, more frequent water changes are not better. You could easily remove 5% 3 times a week which is much more then 40% a month.