Simple open brain question

reefman22

Hey i got my first open brain today. nice lime green color, decent sized. anyway, i have read on most of the sites online that the brains prefer sand or substrate to sit on but all the LFSs ive been to have them on rocks also. i just didnt know if they could live all over or if they needed the sand, id prefer to keep mine higher up to add color to the rock and keep the sand nice and white. what should i do?

reefman

scopus tang

Originally Posted by Reefman22
http:///forum/post/2638693
Hey i got my first open brain today. nice lime green color, decent sized. anyway, i have read on most of the sites online that the brains prefer sand or substrate to sit on but all the LFSs ive been to have them on rocks also. i just didnt know if they could live all over or if they needed the sand, id prefer to keep mine higher up to add color to the rock and keep the sand nice and white. what should i do?

reefman
I could be wrong, but I believe that there is a risk of the soft tissue of the coral being damaged when it expands, if its placed on the rock, thus why the sand is generally recommended.

reefman22

ohh that makes sense. so theoretically, it would be ok if it was like tip down all the way at the top where it could open up without hittin stuff? im not gonna do that, dont worry. ill probly just put it on the sand.
reefman

h2o_wizard

Mine has been doing fine in the rocks so far. Had to put 80+ lbs of rock from my old 75 in a 46 bowfront while I get the new 150 set up. Don't have any room for it to sit on the bottom for some reason.

N

nereef

there is tissue underneath too, so i would put it on the sand.