Simple question about Tangs

sh2000

Just to start please do not reply if your of the ppl who think 80 gal. is not enough room for 2 small tangs..
Moving on, I have a simple question in my 80 RT I have a Chevron Tang 2 inches I'm thinking of adding another small tang, I was thinking a blue hippo would these fish get along ? Can they both survive with 120 lb's of live rock. They sorta have different bodies relative to Tangs, Meaning I wouldn't put a yellow tang with a chevron tang. Please let me know what you all think,If not a blue hippo any alternatives for a simmilar colored fish ? I'm looking for a nice bright blue fish.

sinner's g

according to the compatibility chart (which I'm not sure i'm allowed to post), it says caution.
If I remember correctly, tangs with a different body shape are more likely to get along. The bigger the tank, the more swimming room, the better chances.
My book shows the bodies are different, but also says min tank for the Chevron is 100gl.
Your tank, your choice. (Someone used to say that. forget who.)
(Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael)
A tip. Not sure if this will help with tangs, but it works with other fish.
Move your lr around, so the tang you have will have to re-establish his territory. Then, add the new tang and keep the tank lights off.
maybe someone else can tell you for sure. i've never mixed tangs.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by SH2000
Just to start please do not reply if your of the ppl who think 80 gal. is not enough room for 2 small tangs...
You just eliminated a large number (I suspect the majority) of experienced members on this forum. Not sure how much luck you'll have bumping the thread....
Also, please remember this is a public forum. It's not really appropriate to tell people who disagree with what you are asking about to not post here.

lysol

I have a simple question in my 80 RT I have a Chevron Tang 2 inches I'm thinking of adding another small tang.
Negative Ghost Rider.

m0nk

Only reply I have is don't do it, blue hippo tangs get to be up to 12", and an 80 gallon certainly isn't long enough for that. Even if you get it small, it won't be small forever.

jonthefishguy

Personally, I think this person is just looking for someone to say it is okay when he knows he shouldn't. That's the sane people that ask the same question on and on until he finds someone that says, "yes!".

topfins-mj

One thing you should do is go to an aquarium and take a look at the fish there. If you pay attention, you will see some of these fish at their adult size.
I know I do. And the tangs I have seen are certainly pretty big.
How long before thoese fish start to feel stress it's unpredictable, but their behavior could tell you how they feel.
If the fish feels constraint, it will go from docile to aggresive with other fish regardless of species.
I know how you feel, you want that fish and people tell you can't have it but you don't care 'cause you want it. trust me you will have a lot of TANG police here in no time.
Remmember that fish love to swim and some need that to survive.
There is nothing else that any can tell you except to tell you the facts.

nano reefer

Its not the size of tangs that does you in. Its that they eat and poop more than a small tank can handle. Sure if its a tiny 1inch tang you can keep it, but once it gets to 3 inches it will be jacking up your nitrates.

sh2000

Didn't get the BH Tang.
I guess I was misunderstood I didin't want this to end up in a tang discussion of what size aquarium they can live in..so lets say for knowledege sake i have a 400 gal. tank..
My same question applies I just wanted to know since the Bh Tang and the Chevron Tang aren't similarly shaped Tangs If they can live together.
The Chevron Tang according to many sites can live with a minimum of 75 Gal. The BH tang needs a minimum of 40 gal. according to swf.com. (That's for the 3-5 inch one.)
I did not mean to tell anyone where or what to post just wanted to know your opinions on a particular matter.

sh2000

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
You just eliminated a large number (I suspect the majority) of experienced members on this forum. Not sure how much luck you'll have bumping the thread....
Also, please remember this is a public forum. It's not really appropriate to tell people who disagree with what you are asking about to not post here.
Didn't mean to be! Just guess I was misunderstood.

sh2000

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
Its not the size of tangs that does you in. Its that they eat and poop more than a small tank can handle. Sure if its a tiny 1inch tang you can keep it, but once it gets to 3 inches it will be jacking up your nitrates.
With the proper skimmer and water changes I think its ok. JMO

wangotango

Didn't get the BH Tang.
I guess I was misunderstood I didin't want this to end up in a tang discussion of what size aquarium they can live in..so lets say for knowledege sake i have a 400 gal. tank..
My same question applies I just wanted to know since the Bh Tang and the Chevron Tang aren't similarly shaped Tangs If they can live together.
The Chevron Tang according to many sites can live with a minimum of 75 Gal. The BH tang needs a minimum of 40 gal. according to swf.com. (That's for the 3-5 inch one.)
I did not mean to tell anyone where or what to post just wanted to know your opinions on a particular matter.
For the 400gal arguement, yes they should be fine. I won't even go into the problems of having tangs in smaller tanks, but if you add a fish that will compete for space with an already cramped fish, you're asking for trouble.
Yes tangs add a lot to the bio-load, and yes a beefy skimmer will help. Size is a big issue as well as diet. There is no way that the rock in an 80gal tank can support two tangs. Feed all the nori you want, but it'll get old after a while.
Most of the minimum tank sizes posted are for juveniles. Even a 3-5 inch hippo tang is not full grown.
Like I said, I'm not getting into the tang arguement, but I think we all know it's not a good idea long term. The only tang that could possible work would be a kole.
-Justin

lysol

I'm Looking for Primarily a nice blue fish. Something with the color like a Blue hippo any ideas?
According to Dr Foster a Blue Tang would be ok in a 80.

rdhanley

I'm Looking for Primarily a nice blue fish. Something with the color like a Blue hippo any ideas?
what about a bicolor angel. they have the deep blue and a nice yellow too.

oceansidefish

I would avoid the 2 tangs simply because of the risk of one becoming agressive....I am guessing the 120 pounds of LR would be a pain in the you know what to re-arrange. If you post your other tank inhabitants I think we could come up with some suggestions... Reef or FOLWLR???

sh2000

It's a 80 gal. Reef, I think the only angels that are reef safe is the coral beauty and flame angel, I love the flame angel but I already have a Flame Hawkfish, and Chevron tang which are that color. Is the Bi color angel Reef safe ?

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Lysol
Why would you want another tang anyways your just doubling the chances of ICH.
Not really...
Ich is a parasite with a known life cycle. Proper QT procedures eliminate any risk of this.