Single or Multiple Clowns

statto

Hello All
Just starting a SW tank for the very first time.
Ive been looking through the web and some books I have bought to decide on what fish to buy, once ive cycled.
Is it ok to buy single clown fish? (Im thinking of false percs or black percs)
Or is it more benificial to buy 2 Clowns together so they have a friend?
Cheers
Statto

perfectdark

As far as health or well being is concerned it doesnt matter. They can live in pairs of singly without issue. However I do feel they are more content in pairs. Just dont mix species as they do not do well together. Percula's with Percula's, ocellaris with ocellaris... etc etc.. Black and White percs are Ocellaris by species as are false percs so they can be paired together. If you decide to get one at first and then later get another, its recommended to get one that is considerably smaller than the original this will help subdue any major dominance issues. However there is no guarantee that there will not be any issues even with same species, this just lessens the probability. Getting a small one will also ensure that you are buying a male and not a female. It would be very very bad to have 2 females together in the same tank. HTH good luck.

kazara

I had a false perc for 2 yrs and he was ok but did not do much. Last week I got the smallest false perc i could find and they see happy together. The older one swims around much more then when it was just him.

gmann1139

I agree with kazara. I've had both singles and a pair, and I think the pair I bought have definitely have had the most personality.
That said, after you have a pair, don't think the male is a pushover. Mine is much more aggressive when my hand's in the tank. Little bugger nips me consistently.

statto

Thanks all
I think which ever I decide upon (black or orange) ill buy two together
Cheers
Statto

jeanheckle

I had a single perc in my tank for about 8 months, when I added another one, I got one from a tank where it was with another perc and he was smaller making the odds that he would be male already. After I first introduced him, the female beat the crap out of him for about a minute and it's been love ever since.