Six-line like exspensive treats

soulsigma

Well as with everything else in this hobby no matter how careful you are, no matter how much research you put into animals, equipment, water quality, ect..the true lesson are learned from action.Like today I received 5 peppermint ship and was very excited about it, after acclimating them for hrs, I placed them in my 75g tank and as I was turning out the lights I found my six-line wrasse with one in his mouth
. Now after all my research on the six-line no where did I read that he was an invert predator and after having him for months his behavior has been up-to-par, that is until today. So the lesson learned for me was that I can not have in shrimp because of him, so there goes my want for the Camel back and the cleaner shrimps

I Love this hobby because it teaches me to live out loud and learn along the way

Peppermint shrimp eater

nycbob

every individual is different. my 6 line luckily doesnt bother inverts including shrimps.

t316

Mine neither...

I currently have a peppermint in with two sixlines and they could careless of one another's existance.

t316

soul...I would say that there is a good posibility that your shrimp had some type of acclimation problem, and the sixline just took him for an easy meal. I went thru numerous shrimp before I was ever able to keep one alive. I would acclimate for hours too, then they go in the tank and would just go limp, thus food for the others. I know you saw the shrimp in the six's mouth, but I doubt that he attacked and killed it. Six's are not known for this. Just my .02

spanko

My mystery wrasse ate my peppermint and my pom-pom crab. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

d-man

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3038117
My mystery wrasse ate my peppermint and my pom-pom crab. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
I don't know that much about fish but I think a mystery wrasse is a bit more aggressive than a 6 line at least this has been what I have observed with the wrasses I've seen

ucdpike2001

If the six-line has been in the tank for a long time he will be more aggressive towards any new members. If you added shrimp after the six-line then its about 50-50 whether he will think they are food.

stanlalee

the sixline ate the peppermint shrimp because it figured it could. 9 times out of 10 they dont eat shrimp because its seems like an impossible task to consume. I kept a puffer with a fire shrimp under that principle (shrimp was bigger than the toby puffer). its also probably best to have the shrimp first before adding ANY species of wrasse. shrink shrimp down to edible size and all sixlines would eat shrimp. hell an amphipod is nothing more than a small shrimp to a fish. Try a coral banded or larger full size shrimp before giving up (I figure they must have been small if you found it in a sixlines mouth). peppermint shrimp (especially the aquacultered ORAs) often come so small psuedochromis, bassets and small wrasses will consume them where they might not bother larger specimens. peppermints also dont have the functional free pass that cleaner shrimp often get (not that it would matter to a wrasse).
ps: at a typical $5 each peppermints are a cheap treat, there are lots of people who's wrasses made one time meals out of $30 fire shrimp
each peppermint could sustain a sixline for several days to a week. thats not too bad for live feed!

t316

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
http:///forum/post/3038263
the sixline ate the peppermint shrimp because it figured it could. I kept a puffer with a fire shrimp under that principle (shrimp was bigger than the toby puffer).

Comparing a sixline and a puffer is like comparing a Victoria's Secret model to Ophra Winfrey

stanlalee

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3038274
Comparing a sixline and a puffer is like comparing a Victoria's Secret model to Ophra Winfrey

I was pointing out a strategy applicable to where it applies not comparing sixlines to puffers (it just so happens it applies to small toby puffers as well as small wrasses). An which Oprah, the thick trainer worked marathon running 55yr old Oprah which is quite favorable from the neck down compared to a typical wrinkled 55yr old ex model or Harpo (Oprah and Luther Vandross always require specifying which one
).

soulsigma

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3038116
soul...I would say that there is a good posibility that your shrimp had some type of acclimation problem, and the sixline just took him for an easy meal. I went thru numerous shrimp before I was ever able to keep one alive. I would acclimate for hours too, then they go in the tank and would just go limp, thus food for the others. I know you saw the shrimp in the six's mouth, but I doubt that he attacked and killed it. Six's are not known for this. Just my .02
No the poor fellow was alive and well, he was trying to make it into a crevice in the live rock to escape the sixline who was hot on his trail and now I am afraid that when the lights come back on the remaining four will be hunted down for breakfast, lunch or maybe dinner. I was just trying to diversify my clean up crew and being that I didn't have any shrimp in the tank I thought I would give them a try, now I am afraid to try other shrimp for the fear of what will happen to them.