six-line Wrasse

b-diddles

I have researched online and have found SOME info. on this species. I bought one finally. I understand that it is a carnivore that typically grows 1.75 in. but has been known to grow up to 4 in. I understand that it eats flat worms, bristle worms, snails that can harm clams. I know that it can be somewhat aggressive to smaller fish and inverts as it gets older. What I would like to know is: your experiences with this fish in a community tank with fish, with inverts, behavior, feeding habits and its tendencies and preferences. I would like to know if they eat feather dusters. I am assuming that they do because they eat other worms. Any luck with a blood or skunk cleaner with them? I am really starting to like this fish and its behavior so far but would like to know more. I am thinking about getting a long spine sea-urchin. I have read that they can eat them. Is this talking about wrasses in general that may not be reef safe due to their Jaw crushing abilities, or is this species a threat to urchins? Please. Any info is helpful. Thank-you for your response in advance. I am MOST grateful. God-Bless.

nycbob

i hv a sixline ever since i started this hobby. it has not bothered any corals, urchins, featherdusters or shrimps. the only aggression it would show is toward my flame angel when it gets near. imo, perfectly fine fish. just remember every individual fish is unique.

b-diddles

Thanks. Anyone else any info. or experiences to share? Today I came home and couldn't find it for a while (I thought that he jumped out because I have read that they are known jumpers) I was looking all around and finally decided to feed them and out he comes. He looks to be constantly grazing off of the rocks. You can see his eyes shifting back and forth on the rocks. I think that he swims in a very unique way compared to my other fish who just dart everywhere.

alh

My six line is a good community fish. The only aggression I have seen is when it periodically swoops down on my Scooter blenny. Doesn't actually do damage and the blenny doesn't seem to care

b-diddles

I havn't seen him pick on feather dusters yet. I also noticed that he is a little more bold durring feeding time already and is not to be intimidated by the damsel. He seems to be getting alond nicely.

mantisman51

My six line is about 3 1/2". He/she has never acted aggressively toward anything except the bristle worms that used to stick out all over the LR. He cleaned them out in a week, maybe.

ophiura

This is a small wrasse and as such not a threat to things like sea urchins. However it does pose a certain threat to shrimp. I have not had an issue with this but it is possible. They can be a bit nippy as many small fish are (eg pseudochromis, grammas). What size tank do you have and what are your other inhabitants?

stanlalee

Mine was the 1rst fish in my tank and has been a great community fish. Bad and bold enough to keep with larger aggressive pixy hawfish and has never bothered more timid smaller fish I've had. My current (and hopefully final) fish stocking is the sixline, a false perc and a royal gramma. The false perc has much more unprovoked tude then my sixline. Never had mine with shrimp but it doesn't bother hitchhiker feather dusters as far as I can tell. I have seen it bite (but not eat or kill) stomatella hitchhikers several times that came out the rock spraying their love juice or make themselves obvious during daylight hours but it ignores the snails I actually purhased (cerith, astrea).

mony97

The person I am getting my tank from has had one for about 3 months and it has been a great community fish, and has yet to nip at anyone, including her cleaner shrimp, but like someone said every fish is different, and I am personally debating whether to get a sixline or not for this reason?

ophiura

Mine "postures" at its own reflection in the glass, flaring his fins, etc. It is not likely, IMO, to be an issue with other fish of different body shape. It could be an issue, IMO, with similar fish (certainly other small wrasses) or things like a gramma or psuedo which also have the territorial streak. Not always, but possible, and in a smaller tank I would take some caution with selection of tank mates because of it.

jackri

My six-line has been perfect in my community tank.
Clams, shrimp, inverts of all kinds, corals, etc.
He just looks around and picks at rock going in and out of crevices (I think I spelled that wrong). Love to watch his eyes look around.

t316

I have 2 sixlines in a tank with shrimp, hermits, snails, Tangs, Clowns, Cardinals, Chromis, and others. The only aggression that I have ever noted was from sixline #1 towards sixline #2 when #2 was added. #1 kept him at bay and hiding in the rocks for a few days, but eventually warmed up to him.
Sixlines are very active fish. They dart in/out of rocks. As far as temperment, nycbob said it best...."every individual fish is unique".

florida joe

My number one love/hate fish. Sorry to say I would not get another one. I feel you roll the dice as far as their aggression

b-diddles

What a gorgious pic. How do you get your pics so clear, and how do you get your pic of your fish so still? My pics are a blurr because he moves so much and so fast.

florida joe

Originally Posted by B-DIDDLES
http:///forum/post/3036149
What a gorgious pic. How do you get your pics so clear, and how do you get your pic of your fish so still? My pics are a blurr because he moves so much and so fast.
My friend I may be the least talented photographer on SWF. But thanks to another member who suggested I buy a cannon rebel camera, all I do is take a pic and post