six-line wrasse

almarktool

can anyone tell me if a six-line is reef compatable with a DSB , and also with a mandrian in a 200 gall tank
thanks

db

I would imagine in a well established 200 gallon tank that you could keep both a mandarin and a six line. They both will feed on copepods which would of course effect your dsb a bit. I couldn't imagine on a tank that size that you would have anything to worry about if your tank has a good pod population.

uel

I agree with DB, but I had to remove my 6 line in order to keep a mandrian alive in my 180. I don't know if the 6 line was harrassing him or if he was eating all the food. I do dose my tank with live brine shrimp daily. My takn was 6-8 months old when I tried the mandrian. I removed the 6 line at 11 months and then added a new mandrian and he has lived and grown in the last three months. My tank is 14 months old.

jonthefb

yeah they will compete for the same food source, however six lines will usually readily take to any kind of food thrown inthe tank, flake, mysis, brine etc, whereas mandarins usually wont. in an established 200 you should be fiine. i have a 135 that has a mandarin and six line who are both doing fantastic. however i also have a fuge set up so it constantly replensihes the system with pods, etc
how long has your tank been set up? if its fairly young i would wait like 6 months to a year without either, that way your pod pop can mature and reproduce
good luck
jon

azonic

my sixline doesn't eat pods. He eats whatever I feed....brine, bloodworms, etc.. I know he doesn;t eat them because they dont come out until a good hour after my lights are off...and 15 minutes after lights out, my sixline goes to bed...he has a small rock, with a tunnel in it, he goes in his hole and stays there for 6-7 hours. I know this because Ive been awake till 5am and he is still there. So your sixline should be fine...he will eat what you feed if he has no other choice...he's not like a mandarin who would die before it ate anything other then live food.

jonthefb

you guys are both right, however during the day when the six is not being fed, he will hunt for pods/bugs, and believe me there are some that still come out and get eaten. shouldnt be a big deal, as a six will always take to substitute food, but when a fish is not being fed, it is lookign for somethign to eat, and the six eats pods/bugs, when its not being fed
good luck
jon

kpogue

Please don't take offense to this, but all fish do this. If they don't like it they spit it out. Such as poop! I've kept fish for over 20 years and they are always scavaging for the next bit of food. That's why newbies always over feed. "The little guys looked so hungry!"
PS. I learn something new everyday in this hobby!
That's the fun of it!

slothy

my 6 line is a pod poping mofo... my pod population decreased quite a bit with him... He doesnt touch the sandbed at all, once the light are off (sometimes even when they are on) he goes in his rock and goes night night...

wrassecal

I keep a sixline and a mandarin in a 55 gal, dsb and 100 lbs of lr but supplement the pod population from a 20 gal stand alone refugium. I also feed baby brine twice a week cause that's the only other thing my mandarin will eat. 7 months and doing good so far (crossing fingers):)