Sixline keep disapearing

beavis4040

Hey all, I've had 3 different sixline wrasses dissapear on me over the past few months
, I drip them for about an hour or so and all have seemed very healthy. They go into my tank and I see them swim around for awhile, I come back and never see them again. All of my other fish have been fine. Is there any sort of critter that would really like a sixline? Or has does anyone think a Coral beauty would kill it? The CB does seem to always stay close to them but I haven't seen her be aggressive.

dogstar

Hard to say for sure without more details about your system, ect. but possible the CB pestered them to death. They are both rock graziers and compeate for the same foods. I have a CB and 2 SLs and they do fine together.

beavis4040

Not on the floor, tank is 75G, 100lbs of live rock, stats as follows.
am 0-0.3
trites 0
trates 5-10
phospate 1.0
PH 8.5
salt about 1.023
I have seen some kind of crab in the tank but not sure what kind or color. didn't seem very big, and I would think that my yellow watchman Goby would be food long ago if that was the case. Only other thing is I have seen some kind of creepy centipeed like creature in the LR that my SL's usually like to swim in, it has alot of deep holes they play in...

cgrant

from what i have seen wrasse's seem to like hiding in the sand bed, or CC whatever you have, i woul dnot be surprised if all 3 are hiding under the sand bed.
A friend of mine has a red coras wrasse and he would come out at night when all the lights went out, when lights were on he would hide in the sand bed, so you could very well have all 3 in the tank, try leaving all lights in tank and in room off for like 10 minutes, then come in the room w/a flashlight and see if you spot them

chat noir

my wrasse likes to sleep under a huge chunk of LR at nite and occaisional likes to take a dip in the CC

hagfish

Originally Posted by CGRANT
from what i have seen wrasse's seem to like hiding in the sand bed, or CC whatever you have, i woul dnot be surprised if all 3 are hiding under the sand bed.
A friend of mine has a red coras wrasse and he would come out at night when all the lights went out, when lights were on he would hide in the sand bed, so you could very well have all 3 in the tank, try leaving all lights in tank and in room off for like 10 minutes, then come in the room w/a flashlight and see if you spot them
I don't think 6 line's act quite like this. I've never seen mine bury itself. It swims through caves a lot, but it's usually pretty easy to find. It's one of the most active fish I've got.

cgrant

Is that something common to the red coris wrasse or was the one I saw just a freak?
Anyone else have one?
Now I am curious :thinking:

beavis4040

Sixline's don't usually burry them selves, they sometimes hide for a few days but usually they are very active swimmers and love to swim in around the LR. I had my first one for about 4 months before he magically went away
They are not similar to the Red Corris, two very different fish from what I know. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any critters that would actually go after a sixline as they are more of a hunter of worms and other strange creatures...
The second one I saw for 2 days, then never saw him again, and after a month I tried my third and sadly probably my last, I saw him for 30min, went away and haven't seen him since :mad: Really makes me mad cuz I love their personality and colors. (sorry for any bad spelling)

saltwater8

Originally Posted by CGRANT
Is that something common to the red coris wrasse or was the one I saw just a freak?
Anyone else have one?
Now I am curious :thinking:
Yes, that is normal for the red coris wrasse and other larger wrasses.
They will bury themselves when frightened and when they sleep.
The red coris is a beautiful fish as an adult.