sixline wrasse compatibility and aggression

mariner360

I recently bought a two spot goby for my 30 gallon tank. I have 2 false clowns and a sixline. As soon as I put in the goby my sixline attacked the hell out of him. I didn't realize sixlines were so aggressive untill after I got this fish and read some more about sixlines. I saw the goby for the next day but after that, he is no where to be found. I'm really pissed. I'm wondering what else can I put in with this sixline and it hold up and also be reef safe. I wanted the goby so he would sift through the sand. But I'm starting to think I'm screwed on any fish like that. What other fish do you guys suggest? I always wanted a school of chromis. But again am worried the sixline will terrorize them. Is a half inch of fish per gallon to the rule to follow for stocking? Thanks everyone.

mantisman51

I have had a six line for about 7 months now. He's been with ocellaris clowns, a bluefin angel, 2 butterfly, 4 damsels,a lawnmower blenny and a clown goby. He/she has never shown aggression at all. I have read the horror stories, but mine is a wonderful little guy-about 3". I don't think there is a more beautiful fish to have grazing around the LR and coral. I guess it depends on the fish.

t316

I have two sixlines in a tank together, along with the others you mention (gobies and chromis) with no problems. However, sixlines can be aggressive, but usually only to newcomers, but overall this is not a fish to be scared of as many of the threads on here suggests. They just need lots of territory, ie. larger tanks if you are going to have a lot of fish, and you should be very slow and careful in how you acclimate any newcomers.

mantisman51

T316. I have a 125g with tons of LR. I think if certain fish feel crowded they become aggressive out of fear of competition. In nature limited resources bring out the worst in animals. I would think it's the same in an aquarium. I also think alot of people underfeed their fish for fear of nitrates, but I read a great piece by Bob Fenner who said underfeeding is a bigger problem than overfeeding.

t316

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3006774
T316. I have a 125g with tons of LR. I think if certain fish feel crowded they become aggressive out of fear of competition. In nature limited resources bring out the worst in animals. I would think it's the same in an aquarium. I also think alot of people underfeed their fish for fear of nitrates, but I read a great piece by Bob Fenner who said underfeeding is a bigger problem than overfeeding.
I would agree with this, but only during feeding time. My experience has shown that during feeding times, both of my sixlines will dash in/out of the rocks like snipers to steal food from even the biggest of my tank inhabitants, however, they still show aggression towards other fish that are introduced after them, whether it's feeding time or not. By nature, they can be territorial, but sixlines seem to quickly get over it. They either destroy their new enemy within 24-48 hrs, or they usually call truce and give up, leaving them alone. Personally, I think six's get a bad rap for being an aggressive fish. I think they are up there in the top 10 of all-time coolest and most compatible saltwater fish, if housed and managed correctly...

mariner360

Thanks for your responses. I have about 60+ pounds of LR in my 30 gallon tank. I would say I have plenty of LR. So what should I do about adding new tank mates? I don't have a quarantine tank or the capabilities to start one. Is there some good fish that would be good if my sixline is just going to harass them? Should I just get new fish that are already bigger then my sixline? My goby that he terrorized was about half the sixlines size.

t316

One tip on bringing in new fish is to protect him by using a breeder box or something. After acclimation, put the new fish in the tank but keep him separated from the sixline by keeping him in some type of eggcrate box or netting. Let the sixline act out his aggression, if he's going to, get use to the newbie, then allow contact.