sixline wrasse cucoon

ibanez

That is funny.
I think that is a hint that next time you need to brush up on your researching skills before ordering a fish.
It is such a beautiful and amazing species isn't it.

elementzx

yeah it really is a nice fish. I a quick question i had about the cocoon itself, the main reason i came to the forums, well i was just wondering if the cocoon itself was harmful to other fish? this morning when my sixline came out i saw his cucoon on the sand and one of my hermits walked over it and looked like he was getting stuck. also i was wondering if it would be harmful if anything ate it?

ibanez

I don't think so, but usually the sixline will eat it from what I have gathered from other experiences. It is just a sent blocker from what I know about it.

rlablan

Ibanez- You are correct... The cocoon is mainly just for blocking the scent. And most theories are that they eat the cocoon in the morning.

vantec

huh intresting ive had a sixline wrasse for about 7 months and he picked a place to sleep inbetween some rocks but i can see him real good. i always thoght it was some snail slime or something that got stuck around the rocks where he stays but now that i see this i guess he was making a cucoon. pretty cool.
and like rlablan points out i think they do eat it becasue its always gone during the day but appears again at night when hes in his little cave

hunt

yeaterday morning, i turned my light on and the ix line came out and the cucoon started floating around, then it floated into my powerhead...wasnt pretty