Size of pump for 210 gallons

tapeworm

I am planning on running dual over flows 210 into one sump.
What kind of pump and GPH do you recommend for return?

squidd

Limiting factor willl be what your "overflows" can return to the sump...Size of bulkheads..?
What kind of tank and what size return line bulkheads.?

D

dboy999

squiddy was gonna anwser this one sounds like you got it...it got it from you..idid some good research on predrillled im assuming its 2 1" overflows..which= 1200 gph..correct el squiddo

squidd

Probably...
Unless Tapeworm is having a custom tank built or orderded a stock tank with custom drilling...:yes:
There also can be a difference in th "return bulkhead" sizes which will affect head pressure and pump selection...

tapeworm

Thanks guys, it is a normal all glass 210 tank with two 1 inch bulkheads.
I was thinking of running a 2000 GPH Dolphin pump. Is that over doing it?

squidd

Two...1" bulkheads...???
You sure on that ...?? AGA 210 w/ Mega Flows should have two 1" overflow bulkheads AND two 3/4" return bulkheads....:thinking:
Either way, with the abiliy to only "remove" 1200 gph the 2K Dolphin might be a bit of over kill ...
However if you only use the two 3/4" returns, there should be enough "restriction" to hold the pump back to a useable state...

big bubba

you also need to take into account how high you are pumping the return water. I have a 300 with (2) 11/2 drains with (4) 3/4 returns. I have 6 ft. of return height and I'm using (2) MAG 3600. I'm moving some serious water around my tank.
I might be over doing it a bit, but my tank is very clean and the fish seem to like the added water movement. I used all 1 inch plumbing. I think the reason I have so much head pressure is the 3/4 returns. If I could I would drill my returns out to 1 inch.
All four go through the top of my tank.

D

dboy999

also id do some research on that pump brand selection as in Dolphin heard nothing but horror stories.Id go with a mag drive..do a search for my name probably anwser all your questions..thanks to squidd..