size of sand matters?

joel911

i found some article, tell me if its right.
What size is the sand grain?
2mm sand is considered the best grain size. If it is much coarser than this, it can be difficult to move or damaging to sand stirrers and will also trap debris. If it is much finer than this, it is really silt and will not allow oxygen to diffuse through it and H2S will form. This may still be useable with the right sand stirrers. Some small pieces of rock (around 10-15mm) can be useful mixed with the sand as it helps burrowing animals such as Sleeper Gobies shore up their tunnels

xcali1985

Should be fine. Most sand shifter will filter what they can and spit the rest back out of their mouths.

btldreef

I used to worry about the sand grain size. Now it's not something I fret about too much. I've noticed that unless it's HUGE chunks, you're fine. The grade they gave you is actually probably better if you plan on having any burrowing fish like sleeper gobies.

aquaknight

Yea, for the most part, doesn't matter a ton. One thing not pointed out yet, the smaller grain of sand, the harder time you'll have with flow blowing the sand around. Get into some of the high rates, >90x turnover, and it's a headache.