size of tank for piranhas...

S

sebae0

i have 6 large (10-12") pirahnas in a 120 gal that i breed, if you really want them to get big (because blacks get bigger than reds) you should throw them in the largest tank you can fit. other than that they would be okay in a 55 for a little while. when i worked at a lfs up here we had 22 reds in a 120.

A group of blacks will eventually kill each other until there is only one left. They are not a fish that tends to school. It is very rare that a group can be kept together.

jared

What kind of piranhas do school well? The piranhas I would be getting are not very expensive at all, and I wouldn't mind too much if only one survived after a long period of time. They are not very mature, in fact only 3/4" long, so I'm assuming they'd last a while and I'd get enough enjoyment for the buck.
I don't like settling for anything normal, so naturally I love the

[hr]
fishes! I love anything dangerous or just plain stupid to own. (Hey, I'm 16, I'm entitled to be an idiot. If I pull the crap that I do now when I'm 30, well, you get the idea. Carpe Diem!)
I don't quite have enough money/patience/IQ-level for a saltwater aquarium, so I think freshwater fish would be a good way to start. I'll hopefully get one in the future and get some real dangerous goodies. (ie eels, lionfish, sharks, etc.)
NE help would be great. Thanx!

xdetroiter

I don't like settling for anything normal, so naturally I love the

[hr]
fishes! I love anything dangerous or just plain stupid to own. (Hey, I'm 16, I'm entitled to be an idiot. If I pull the crap that I do now when I'm 30, well, you get the idea. Carpe Diem!)
Forget the Pirahnas....
Get yourself a Juvi 2-foot Alligator Gar & hand feed it. Or get yourself a nice 3 foot Lungfish & also hand feed it.

jared

Forget the Pirahnas....
Get yourself a Juvi 2-foot Alligator Gar & hand feed it. Or get yourself a nice 3 foot Lungfish & also hand feed it.
Oh believe me, as soon as I get enough fundage, more dangerous specimens will soon become members of my poisonous family. Piranhas are totally famous for their complete bastardness though.
I'd love to get a Caimen alligator or something along those lines, but it's a tad too large right now. Even with my own room, it
is (sadly) mommy's house. When I move out, hopefully in a couple months, I'll have a little more room for fun stuff.
I thought about the lungfish simply because it is a totally non-traditioanl fish. Calm or agressive, I may get one anyway. What is their temperment? If they're agressive, it's only one more reason to buy it!
Fresh or saltwater, I love fishes... :happyfish

xdetroiter

Dude, you're moving out at 16? I'm 31 & if I could have stayed home not paying rent until now, I would have !!!!!
The lungfish is the devil incarnate! They're awesome looking & belong in a species tank. They are evil from beginning to end.
The alligator no matter how dwarf or what you saw on Jackass will eventually wipe you, your friends & entire family out.
Some people house the Alligator Gar w/some success but fear it after 3 feet & end up 'getting rid of it' That fish will wipe out your family too. They sell them for $20 as babies here. They grow slow.
Check out ww.Predatoryfish.net They have many forums on freshwater aggressors & oddball giants as well. The lungfish & gar are on their favorite list there!
Good Luck! :D

sundance1

There is NO WAY 5 black piranha can live in a 55 gallon tank.One will make it if your lucky.Go with the blackheart piranha.They will live together and stay at a size where maybe 3 to 5 will survive in a 55 if you have an execellent filtration system.They look alot like a redbelly but have a black spot behind their gill plate.Mean as hell too.

toughguy80

Originally Posted by KittyKitty
Not true.
Don't buy aggressive animals just because you think it will make you look cool. Just make sure you really care about the animals you're buying and take good care of them.
I can't count how many times I've seen people buy large snakes or alligators because it's "cool" and then later realize that there's too much responsibility involved in it for them to handle.

Sorry for Hijack, but where do you work at KittyKitty?

nomad

The meanest thing I have ever kept was a teenager. Why don't you just keep tabs on your husbandry, tankmates, exercise, health, etc just as if you were a dangerous animal you were keeping and see what you see about yourself as well as your friends. I don't say this to be mean, but as a mental exercise from another point of view.

tnt

When I was growing up, my parents had 2 red belly piranahs in a 100 gal for about 10 years. They were about 9inches. My husband and I kept a couple in a 20 gal for awhile. They get beautiful red bellies if you feed them orange and red fish. They would actually hunt the fish together. It was very interesting to watch. Definitely need a QT for your feeders though. lfs don't always keep their feeders in great health. When we moved, the piranahs didn't make it.