Skilter 250 question

dawicked1

Hey if i put the Skilter 250 in a 10 gal with ls no lr and 2 clown would thank be ok? there will be a hearter ...just curious or would a bio wheel filter be better? and if so witch one?

seannmelly

well i wouldnt add the live rock after the fish are in there. it could spike and kill your fish, add the live rock first then the fish once it spikes. and i had a skilter 400 once and i thought it was junk. i junked it after a month mabye, good luck with it

laddy

Start out with live sand in the bottom......$20 worth or so. There is unpopular sentiment over the skilter filters. I have never used them but I hear they're noisy and hard to dial in.

seannmelly

yes deff noisy so noisy i had to get rid of it. it went on the big auction site and sold for 25.00 dollars, it was the 400 model.

sagxman

I'm going to slightly disagree with a few of the comments. I have a skilter 400 on my 20 and it worked fine for a long time. This filter is good for a small tank IMO. I wouldn't put the 250 on anything bigger than a 10 though, and wouldn't put the 400 on anything bigger than a 20.
Here's my negative comment about it; I have had it for about 3 years and it doesn't skim like it used to. I'm probably going to turn mine into a fuge.

seannmelly

Originally Posted by SaGxMAN
I'm going to slightly disagree with a few of the comments. I have a skilter 400 on my 20 and it worked fine for a long time. This filter is good for a small tank IMO. I wouldn't put the 250 on anything bigger than a 10 though, and wouldn't put the 400 on anything bigger than a 20.
Here's my negative comment about it; I have had it for about 3 years and it doesn't skim like it used to. I'm probably going to turn mine into a fuge.

i never said it didnt work, i just said it was noisy, didnt skim well but did the job i guess and tons of bubbles.

salt phish

cap off the venturi on the skilter....add a variable air pump(for adjustments) and a wooden air difusor and you have a decent skimmer for the dough....but chek on that famous auction sight for a good deal...