skilter filter

bubbagump

i am setting up s 29 fish only tank and am planning on getting a skilter filter/ protien skimmer in one. would this be all right? and if u have had any experience with this filter plase let me know and how u liked it. if this isnt a good filter i was planning on getting a tetre tech 150 and a seaclone filter. i am on a really tight bnudget and thats why ia m going or would like to go with the skilter.

I am currently using the smaller Skilter on a 20 high reef. I like it OK. I'd rather had spent my money on an Ecosystem refugium, had I known of them at the time. The Skilter works good, it's just noisy. The only way I've found to eliminate the noise is to block off the air intake, and add a limewood airstone to the skimmer tube. I can't say that I would recommend the Skilter, but it's good to get by on. Just my 2 cents though ;)

lionpicasso

I have a skilter 400, well its okay not considering it spills bubbles in the tank and it's so noisy, you can modify it where it won't
spill so much bubbles in your tank.
It's better than no protein skimmer on my 75gal fowlr.
I don't know how the sea clone does but if your on a tight budget IMO the skilter would work for you 30gal fo.
just my 2cents
Lionpicasso

krusk

check this link
<a href="https://www.saltwaterfish.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004125" target="_blank">https://www.saltwaterfish.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004125</a>

adivedog

I would use the money on something else. I bought a Skilter 400 when starting and replaced it within a month, due to the noise and didn't seem to skim either. :D

broomer5

I hope you have not bought it yet.
IMO - if someone has never seen a protein skimmer in action - and looked at the pathetic skimmate produced from a Skilter - they may think they spent their money wisely.
Once you see a good quality skimmer working on a tank - you'll know what I mean.
I owned one - it was and is joke for skimming, although I did think it did a nice job as a HOB powerfilter.
If you're on a tight budget - I'd go with a Prizm and about anyone's powerfilter.
Don't waste your money on a Skilter - or do - it's your call.
Broomer <~~~~~ speaking from experience with p.o.s. Skilters