Skimmer AND Filter needed?

zenway9

I have a 50 gallon tank with 2 powerheads and an aqua c remora protein skimmer. do i really need to go with an external filter also? i have tested my water 4 times since having the skimmer and everything is steady at 0.
i really see no reason to include a filter (hang on or cannister) if my water is in the great condition it is in.
anyone have opinions on this?

sheracr123

The only reason I can see is to filter out large particles of waste and what not that might be floating around in the water. I have a small one and use a "Bio-Bag" to filter out particles and occasionally run some carbon.
How long have you had the tank? Is it well established? Do you have LR and a DSB? These are the things that would enable you to possibly run filterless.

zenway9

i have had the tank for 3 months.
i have about 45 lbs of LR w/ about 2 inches of LS.
it seems to me that with a 50 gallon, if you have LR, a skimmer is about all you need (besides powerheads which i have).

ophiura

You can go with what you have, though just be careful with not having enough circulation. Your LR and LS are the biological filter. As mentioned, you may wish to have some sort of mechanical filter for whatever reason but not necessarily. Many people run a tank only with the skimmer, powerheads and LR.