Skimmer bubbles

ajslick

Ok, so i just bought a coralife skimmer that my buddy had modded, i put it on my tank and now i'm getting a crazy amount of micro bubbles. How do i fix this?

ajslick

Its a "silencer" mod. He took off the bubble diffuser box thing and replaced it with a pvc T, the end thats out of the water is closed off with a hole drilled in the top and the bottom has a filter for a powerhead over it. The bubbles aren't as bad as yesterday but they're still noticable.

dawman

Thinking you should have left the diffuser on . Both my buddy and myself don`t get any bubbles with ours .

dawman

Not with ours , the diffuser is there to catch the bubbles so they don`t go into the tank .

partsman

Originally Posted by ajslick
Its a "silencer" mod. He took off the bubble diffuser box thing and replaced it with a pvc T, the end thats out of the water is closed off with a hole drilled in the top and the bottom has a filter for a powerhead over it. The bubbles aren't as bad as yesterday but they're still noticable.
i also had a similar mod where i attached a 45* and 2 inch piece of pvc to the output tube . when hanging it on the back of the tank this angle allowed the return tube to just sit above the water line and very few bubbles (only when feeding or dosing) went into the tank. darn bubble diffuser they give you is way to large and bulky......
if the air filter line gets clogged up - usally at the venturi chamber side you will get almost continous water and more bubble flow into the tank also.
usuall get a bit of coraline or debris in the orfice and can be cleaned easily with a tooth-pic .
oh yeah - never restrict the output elbow to much with any solid filters or caps because you'll get a water flow out of the vent hole on the output elbow and usually ends up on the floor .
arghhhhhhhhhh - i learned that lesson real quick on morning.
other than that my coralife SS has been excellent.
tonight i'm cramming it into my first refugium / sump under my 120
ain't life just grande !!!!!!!!!

ajslick

the bubbles have slowed down after running it for a few days. I'm thinking of making something to go over the return instead of the powerhead filter, any suggestions?