Skimmer during cycle

drew2005

I bought cured live rock and it sat in the tank, in water, for a day before i had everything running. I was still filling the tank up. Probably had some die off. Just curious if i should run it or not during the cycle? I tested the tank today and i showed no ammonia but my nitrite was 5.0.

btldreef

It won't hurt or prolong the initial cycle. I like running the skimmer during the initial cycle, it gives the skimmer a chance to break in.

drew2005

It won't hurt or prolong the initial cycle. I like running the skimmer during the initial cycle, it gives the skimmer a chance to break in.
I read mixed reviews on running it. Ill just run it. It needs to break in anyway. The drain on this skimmer is loud. Something needs to be done about it. I can hear it upstairs when im laying in bed lol

drew2005

What type of skimmer is it?
Reef octopus diablo xs160. Its a beast! Pulling crap out of the water already lol

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2005 http:///t/390948/skimmer-during-cycle#post_3465019
I read mixed reviews on running it. Ill just run it. It needs to break in anyway. The drain on this skimmer is loud. Something needs to be done about it. I can hear it upstairs when im laying in bed lol
Any pics of how you have it set up.....I'm assuming your talking about the water splashing back down to the water surface in the sump area....

drew2005

Heres some pics. Please excuse the wiring. I havent organized everything yet. Still waiting on some rails for my lighting so i can run the wires and get everything neat.

full sump shot

skimmer drain (this is where the noise is)

acrylic51

Does the drain of the skimmer allow the water to drop to the water surface of the sump.....If that's the case you could extend a tube down closer to the water surface to minimize the distance the water is falling....Kinda hard to get a good look at the back side of the gate valve where it exits.....

drew2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/390948/skimmer-during-cycle#post_3465235
Does the drain of the skimmer allow the water to drop to the water surface of the sump.....If that's the case you could extend a tube down closer to the water surface to minimize the distance the water is falling....Kinda hard to get a good look at the back side of the gate valve where it exits.....
Theres about a 1"-1.25" drop to the surface of the water. Ive read that you cant put an elbow on there or it will decrease skimmer performance. They actually sell a "silencer" but i can probably make the same thing for a couple bucks. Its a pvc tee, a rubber coupler, 2 pieces of pvc and an end cap with hole drilled in top. Just like an overflow drain. I already have pvc so it will probably cost me about $6-$7. The "silencer" is, from what i read, $40!! The kicker is these reef octopus skimmers use metric size pvc. So its kinda hard to find direct fit pvc so thats where the rubber coupler comes in. For $300 the skimmer should already come with it. That kinda pisses me off that i have to rig it.

acrylic51

I can see the "T" working and dropping a line to just above the water surface......You might also be able to submerge it just a hair under the water line in the sump, but you'd have to drill a vent hole just above the water surface of the sump water level to eliminate back pressure on the skimmer.......I honestly don't see how an elbow would decrease it's efficiency though.....again with the down pipe just above the water line shouldn't restrict output, but just my .02.....I'd try a couple cheap stabs at it before I'd shell out money on a silencer kit though.....

sweatervest13

I mentioned in your other thread that I have the same skimmer. And it does make a ton of noise. I am spoiled and have a fish room in the basement and can't hear it ever (that just might be the two kids always making a racket, lol). I have tried a few elbows to get the water coming from the skimmer directly into the water in the skimmer section. But I have not pursued that much cause I realtime can't hear it. But I would love to know what fitting allows you to get it done. That makes sense that it is metric now. Weird.

drew2005

Sumps can easily be altered..........
Id rather not modify a $300 sump lol im not a big DIYer. Some things i will do. Some things i just find easier to buy

acrylic51

True, some things are easier to buy, but in this hobby you have to be willing or able to adjust on the fly at times it seems.....