Skimmer FOAM?????

gen1dustin

Well I finally got my 55g running. The skimmer is my brother's old one from years ago. I plan on replacing it in the near future, but I wanted to just make the best of it at the time. My tank has been running for a few days now. The skimmer is making this pure white foam. Then the foam just turns into crystal clear water in the cup. It is making this really fast & filling the overflow bottle quick.
. Is this normal? Shouldn't the water/foam kinda be yellowish or dis-colored? I'm scared that it will overflow everywheres during the night. Do ya'll think it is malfuntioning or what? I don't know the brand it is just a simple skimmer glued on the side of the sump with a little Rio pump. BTW, water was RO/DI, I also added Tetra Aqua water conditioner today. I was thinking it could be that since it just started doing this today.
Anyone got any ideas or thoughts???? Thanks in advance.

oceanblue1

Originally Posted by Gen1Dustin
Well I finally got my 55g running. The skimmer is my brother's old one from years ago. I plan on replacing it in the near future, but I wanted to just make the best of it at the time. My tank has been running for a few days now. The skimmer is making this pure white foam. Then the foam just turns into crystal clear water in the cup. It is making this really fast & filling the overflow bottle quick.
. Is this normal? Shouldn't the water/foam kinda be yellowish or dis-colored? I'm scared that it will overflow everywheres during the night. Do ya'll think it is malfuntioning or what? I don't know the brand it is just a simple skimmer glued on the side of the sump with a little Rio pump. BTW, water was RO/DI, I also added Tetra Aqua water conditioner today. I was thinking it could be that since it just started doing this today.
Anyone got any ideas or thoughts???? Thanks in advance.
:happyfish It sounds like its not such a bad skimmer ther is usely a small air hose connected to the skimmer pump by the way Rio is a very good pump brand there powerful, small, wide suckshen side to them so fish will not get stuck to the pump when there asleep!!!When the pumps are in the top tank with the fish that is. The small air hose connected to the skimmer pump needs to have a air flow ajustment connected to the end of the littel air hose to ajust the amount of bubbels, versis water pushing to the top of the skimmer the more air to the pump the more bubbels the better. The bubbels are what catches the gunk in the water and flotes to the top geting cott in the skimmer top cup,or catch plate...
:happyfish

alyssia

Originally Posted by oceanblue1
:happyfish It sounds like its not such a bad skimmer ther is usely a small air hose connected to the skimmer pump by the way Rio is a very good pump brand there powerful, small, wide suckshen side to them so fish will not get stuck to the pump when there asleep!!!When the pumps are in the top tank with the fish that is. The small air hose connected to the skimmer pump needs to have a air flow ajustment connected to the end of the littel air hose to ajust the amount of bubbels, versis water pushing to the top of the skimmer the more air to the pump the more bubbels the better. The bubbels are what catches the gunk in the water and flotes to the top geting cott in the skimmer top cup,or catch plate...
:happyfish

Most people on here actually hate Rios. Gen1, it sounds like you need to fiddle around w/the skimmer and adjust it a little.

jam1e

is there a knob anywhere? .. it sounds like you need to turn down the thingy .. haha .. really scientific I know .. ha

cgrant

sounds like it s a hand-me-down but thats A-OK!!!
"FREEBEE"
Try messing with it and also try doing a search for install instructions of that skimmer.
depending on what brand but they should have something on the web.
If its been in use for a while it should be broke in, unless its a new pump!
Might also try installing a ball valve after the pump to control flow if it doesnt have any type of adjustment know?
Do you know what brand it is?
edit: forgot to mention some additives will make a skimmer go nuts!

adamc1303

BTW if you just filled up the tank and it is still cycling, most would say that the skimmer should not even be on for the first 4-6 weeks as the tank cycles.

gen1dustin

I haven't actually started the cycle yet. It is just making a little foam today. As far as brand goes I have absolutely no idea, it don't say.