Skimmer for 29 Oceanic CPR SR3 -vs- Tunze 9002

fish4rudy

I am looking for a skimmer for my 29 gallon Oceanic.I am torn between the Tunze and the CPR SR3. Both will fit in the middle chamber.
What I really need to know is which one is going to function better.I'm looking for help/ opinions from anyone who has used one of these two skimmers.
Thanks,
Rudy

fish4rudy

Thank you someone for answering. Tunze it shall be.
Any advice on if I should add Chemi-pure, Purigen or any of that stuff into the middle chamber? Or maybe just the live rock and a small bag of carbon.

cbjt3905

The Tunze was a good choice. I actually bought the CPR SR3 for my BC29 and returned it after three weeks. Perhaps it was something I was doing wrong- I won't deny that, even though I did speak with CPR's tech support person several times. It always seemed difficult to dial-in the flow of bubbles accurately, and the skimmate was always pale and watery even just before water changes. It was a bit noisy. I think the thing that bothered me most was I could look at this skimmer sideways, and my tank would FILL with microbubbles. It happened when I'd top the tank off, empty the cup, etc etc. The bubbles would subside for a while, and then return. The SR3 fit well with no mods and took up most of the middle chamber. I did give it three weeks and was never that happy with it.
I bought a Tunze after that, and there was a huge difference. It installs with some really powerful magnets- watch your fingers. There were never any microbubbles in the tank. Ever. It was so quiet I had to check to see if it was really running. Dialing it in is very sensitive, but once you hit the right point, it is consistent. The skimmate has become tea-colored and thicker. It's considerably smaller than the SR3, and I have about a 4X4" section left in the middle chamber now. In order to get the cup in and out, you do have to make a very small mod to the tank with a dremmel or something. It is minimal but well worth it- you'll see what I mean. Good luck!

fish4rudy

Thanks for the input. I finally received my order. The shipment was several days late due to a derailment. I am still working on getting the Tunze dialed-in. I get a full cup of water after a few hours. I have it sitting appx a 1/2 inch below the water line indicator. The vent

[hr]
is only out a little so im getting closer. Clear foam/bubbles on pops up to the top of the cup every now and then. Hopefully I'm doing this right.This is my first skimmer. I also realize that i need to fill the middle chamber with some live rock rubble. I installed my skimmer the same way that joe-l did his on his 29g Bio-cube thread.I didn't use the magnet. Does this sound right?

vgl12

Originally Posted by FISH4RUDY
http:///forum/post/2651928
I am looking for a skimmer for my 29 gallon Oceanic.I am torn between the Tunze and the CPR SR3. Both will fit in the middle chamber.
What I really need to know is which one is going to function better.I'm looking for help/ opinions from anyone who has used one of these two skimmers.
Thanks,
Rudy
i say the CPR SR3...... i know a guy who has that one and he is satisfied and his tank looks great its also the one im gonna get msg me asap back if you want to know where to get good price its on a huge sale

vgl12

Originally Posted by FISH4RUDY
http:///forum/post/2651928
Thanks,
Rudy
one more thing i have a 29g oceanic biocube too

fish4rudy

No offense but, If you would have read my thread I have already installes the Tunze. It is working great and dialing it in wasn't to bad. If I were you I'd reconsider Give the Tunze a second look...... You get what you pay for. The Tunze is top-notch.
Thanks, Rudy