skimmer help!!!!

:help: :help:
hi,
i was making my list on the newbie board
just when i was about to buy my equipment i noticed a site that had a pump with a skimmer
ETSS Deluxe Reef Devil Protein Skimmer w/Pump
i have a 120 tank
i plan to have an
overflow box 1200gph
sump/refugium 40gal
return pump 1440gph
my question is
do the skimmer need a pump to pump the watter to it from the overflow box?
ive read it is done by gravity

is it just for some models?
is it better to have a pump along with the skimmer (not talking about the return pump)?
thanks

f14peter

Unless it's driven by an airstone, I believe virtually every other type of skimmer requires a pump.
Something to look for . . . some skimmers include the pump with them and there's no extra cost. Others require that the pump be purchased seperately (Kind of like buying an SLR/DSLR camera body . . . there's no lens!).
THe skimmer draws water where ever you put it from its accompanying pump, usually in very close proximity. Hang-On-Back skimmers have the pump dangling down in the tank while the skimmer is outside the tank. Some skimmers are made to be placed in a sump and pull the water out from the chamber they and/or the pump is in . . . gravity feeds the water from the tank/overflow to the sump and isn't directly related to the skimmer.

i was thinkin in buying a super skimmer 220
i thought i had it down
the ovf pulls the water down via gravity to the sump then the skimmer does its job without the need of a pump (i was wrong correct me if im wrong)
what i understand is now from the 2nd post is that the ovf sends the water to the Sump then a pump sends it to the skimmer then the skimmer returns it to the sump then a return pump sends it back to the DT
if this is true what type of pump gph does the skimmer need?
in the
500's
1000's
1500's gph range

f14peter

Originally Posted by antologia2007
i was thinkin in buying a super skimmer 220
i thought i had it down
the ovf pulls the water down via gravity to the sump then the skimmer does its job without the need of a pump (i was wrong correct me if im wrong)
what i understand is now from the 2nd post is that the ovf sends the water to the Sump then a pump sends it to the skimmer then the skimmer returns it to the sump then a return pump sends it back to the DT
if this is true what type of pump gph does the skimmer need?
in the
500's
1000's
1500's gph range

You're getting it! As I said, some skimmers use an airpump driven airstone to supply the bubbles and water movement . . . but they're considered much less effecient than waterpump driven models. Thus a water pump is needed solely for the skimmer . . . be it a hang-on type, or in-sump type skimmer.
Some skimmers actually provide the pump in their package, I think (but aren't 100% sure) SuperSkimmers do provide a pump (or maybe I'm thining of the ASM brand). If not, all skimmer manufacturers have a specified pump size and usually an actual brand and size of pump recommened. You'd have to consult the manufacturer's specifications as they vary from brand to brand.

Originally Posted by fbm
Super Skimmer 220 with the needle wheel pump is an excellant skimmer.
what about the Reef Devil skimmer