Skimmer help

lastchoice

I have a Red Sea Berlin skimmer and I needed a new pump for it. I have looked allover the web trying to find the right pump because my model seems to be older than the Berlins that are sold now. I think it is about 3 year old. I have gone through 3 different pumps trying to find one that was strong enough.
I now have a RIO 2500 782 GPH 10 head and not sure if the skimmer is working correctly. With the old pump I would get a cup of clear water in no time when the air valve was opened all the way. With this pump I get so dark foam that just sits there for days until it drys out and seems to be too heavy and pushes new foam back down into the skimmer??? I don't know if this matter, but the guy I got the skimmer from did not have the top. He said it worked better w/o it. I got this with the tank so I didn't complain. There also seems to be a really small leak in the water line coming from the pump. Not sure if that matters. If it is will silicon be enough to resolve the problem. It was small enough that it did not bother me.
Thank has been set up for about 3 months. Had inverts like shrimp, crabs, snails, stars, anems, and corals in it for about 2 months and decent amount of fish for less than a week. No ammonia, nitrite and about 10 - 20 nitrates.
I was getting some nasty skim with the old pump, so I think there is something wrong, but I have no idea. Please help!!

E

eric b 125

i'm not familiar with the red sea berlin skimmer. is it an in-sump or HOB? if you can take a picture of the skimmer in action with the new pump on it, that could be helpful. how much water is leaking from the line? you could be losing air as well which could definately affect skimmer effectiveness.

reefkprz

I have a couple older berlins. check the pictures to see if this is the model skimmer you have I took a picture of the lable on the skimmer the skimmer chasis and the pumps lable so you can match up the wattage of your pump to the units requirements.

ophiura

I use a mag 7 with the kent venturi adapter instead of the intake on the berlin.
Having said that, it is not particularly the best skimmer out there, so before investing in just a new pump, you may want to see if you can get a new skimmer (sadly many people are getting out of the hobby and selling off equipment). After all a new pump alone may set you back $60-$70.

ophiura

Also...I would say a clear cup of skimmate is not as good as some good gunky dark skimmate. It ties into the "wet" versus "dry" skimmate question. But I would consider it a problem to have a clear cup of skimmate in an hour. The solution to the dark stuff is that you have to clean it out regularly.

lastchoice

I got the pictures. It is a HOB model, I have it on the outside of my sump. It looks like the one you posted to me reef. The new pump that I got is also 55 watts, but I think 2 pumps can have the same watts and different head and GPH. I am trying the rio 2500 now, not sure if that is the problem. The old pump has nothing on it. All I see is TEFEN and 3/4" BSPT. I already googled this and I could not find anything useful.
ophiura
I was not saying I wanted clear skim. I was just saying that b4 if the skimmer was turned up too high that it would take out too much water. When I turned it down with the old pump this was not an issue. Now when I have it turned up all the way I can't seem to get skim in the cup. It is not as strong for sure. I think the skim needs to be a bit wetter to flow into the cup. Look at the pic. I have not had to empty the cup. I don't think this is good.
Yeah, I know ppl don't like this skimmer, but I figured spending $50 instead of $200 or more right now would be the best idea. So far I am into this thing for 3 pumps now at about $100 total. I just want to know if my last pump the RIO 2500 is the problem b4 I return it.
The leak is not too bad. If it was making a mess I would of taken care of it already. If you touch where the leak it just feels a little wet, you don't see water spraying out or anything.
Eric,
What do you mean losing air? From where?

lastchoice

BUMP
I found places selling the Ri0 2500 (the pump I bought) with the Red Sea Berlin Hang-On Protein Skimmer Package with Pump. So I think this should be the pump even if mine is older. I can't seem to find the model number. Could it be something else?

E

eric b 125

i was talking about losing air through the leaking hole. with all the time and money you've put into this skimmer, you would be close to having enough for a new skimmer all together.

lastchoice

Yeah, I know. Waiting for the right deal on a good used skimmer. Don't want to spend 400 on a good one that is new and don't want to spend 200 for one that is basically the same as I have now.
So you think the leak is the problem. Is silicon enough to fix the problem? That is what I will try and take it apart again.