Skimmer is OFF!!

rebelprettyboy

well i had to shut my skimmer down today i couldnt stand the bubbles anymore. They were real bad this moring. like 100 million of them everywhere in the tank. My grand ma walked in and she was liek uigh whats all that in the tank so I had to cut that thing off. It ws pullin out so much gunk though but ill see how the tank is looking without it for a while.
Any ideas on how to stop it from making so many bubbles??
Its a Jebo 180 hangon skimmer

triga22

Im not familar with this model. Does it have a bubble diffuser? I have a coralife and it stopped making bubles after about a week or so. If you just go it then its breaking in.

Did it just start? You could try to put a peice of sponge on the output. Ever thought of a sump? That should cut down anything getting to your tank

gregghia

Don't know how ambitious you are but I had the same problem with my AquaC. I drained my water out and took a piece of plexiglass which was the same height as the tank glass itself. Its about 10 inches wide from a birds eye view. I permanantly glued the plexi to the back of the tank caddy corner if you will. Now I have the skimmer isolated to that area. The bubbles are still there of course but they stay inside the compartment I made. The bubbles make it to the surface and hardly anything to the main tank. I also started using this area as a refuge. Works awesome.

chinpokomon

Attach a piece of foam filter material across your skimmer output. Filter floss can also work with a couple of small dabs of hot glue you're in business, replace as needed. This will help accumulate the bubbles but it must be a thin enough layer to allow water to flow through but not so thin that it allows too many bubbles to pass through. Generally, micro bubbles come from a new skimmer, improper air adjustment, excess protein loading, or overall design inadequacy. A better skimmer is the best answer I can think of.

milkman

I know nothing about this skimmer - but could a ball valve be used to restrict the air entering the skimmer?
Is your pump to powerfull for your skimmer?
Just a possibility