Skimmer malfunction?

camfish

This is getting annoying. I have a octopus bh 100 hob skimmer on my sump. I will fill the sump to the mark I want it to be and get the skimmer all set up. A few hours later I will go to the sump to see five gallons of water on the floor and the skimmer cup full of water, but not overflowing any more. Pics will help I'll get some now. Any ideas?

camfish

Where the water line used to be.

intake and return (no longer covered by water.

lower waterlevel in skimmer as well as less bubbles from when it was filled completely

Here is the open-top return chamber of the skimmer. When the water level of the sump was higher, so was this...now it's empty.

fishslime

I had a similar problem with one of my skimmers(not an octopus thou so it mite be totally different), check to make sure that the air intake line is not clogged, if it doesn't pull in enough air it will pump water out the top, i'd guess that you not seeing it come out because the level in the sump is dropping so much that it won't squirt out any more.... i had to put a different air line on mine, the one it came with salt would creep though and plug it up, after i changer that i have not had a problem.