Skimmer not foaming

aquaworld75

Hey I have a wet/dry-sump-skimmer all in one setup with over flow box, bio balls, and return pump. the problem I am having is getting the skimmer to create any foam and skim. The skimmer is situated in the first chamber of the unit right where the down pipe comes down from the overflow boxes. The skimmer is a very simple setup: a cylinder tube with a pump half way up and an air line stone in the chamber and an overflow cup on top. The system i believe runs on the venturi theory of creating a tornado in the chamber and having the dirt attach to the bubbles which rise to the top and overflow into the collection cup. The problem is the bubbles never get high enough. This is not a DIY skimmer I bought the system setup like this. The only adjustments I can make are on the amount of air the air pump puts out, but this just changes the size of the bubbles and this hasn't helped. I know my tank looks clean but I know that a skimmer will still collect a lot of stuff. Anyone else have similar system with the same problems?

squidd

Is this a "new" setup? Sometimes it just takes a few days or so for the skimmer to break-in, before it starts producing...
In general you would want the "finest" bubbles you can get...More surface area....But enough "volume" to fill the upper chamber so they can "rise" through the tube into the collection cup.
Kind of a balancing act, but when you find the "Sweet spot" it should start producing...
Most 'All" skimmers produced will "work" some are more efficiect and some need more adjusting/attention.
:cool:

aquaworld75

This is a system I have had for about 2 years now. It used to work but since I moved it to my 75 gal tank it hasnt worked. The current system has been up for about 1 year.
After reading up other places and here I realized that I need to create smaller bubbles. I will try the bubble size and see what happens.
Yeah I believe mine is going to be one that requires more adjustments because it used to work.

rich1515

I have the same problem. Mine is a hang on the back skimmer and as of the last two months it hasn't been foaming.
I do weekly water changes but this is still of concern...let me know how if you hear any responses.

I have a Turboflotor that periodically stops producing foam. The first time is happened I went to the LFS where I bought it. I was sure it was broken. The guy calmed me down and showed me how to clean out the air intake port with a paperclip. Now I know what to do when it happens again.
I just pull the airline tubing off of the skimmer intake

[hr]
(underwater and a bit akward). Then I unfold one end of a paper clip so that it is straight. I gently push the paperclip wire in and out of the

[hr]
until I clear away the salt creep (which is what obstructs it). I then reattach the airline tubing and it works fine again.
I have since got the suggestion to extend the airline so that it drapes over my sump and the end of the tubing faces downward. That really does seem to help. I just clean the intake less often now.
Good luck,
-Christine