Skimmer off for how long?

b_ball12_99

I added some pH buffer today because my pH was low at 8.1ish and I have read how skimmer will take additives out so I turned my skimmer off for the time being. How long should I leave it off? I am thinking about 24 hours or in the morning (about 14-18 hours). What is recemmended?

mark-24

I wouldn't think that you would need it to be off for that long. I would say leave it off until the morning. 8.1 is that low, and pH does vary at different times of the day, so check the pH now, then later tonite, and then in the morning. I wouldn't stress too much.
-Mark

tangman99

b_ball,
I would not even worry about buffering an 8.1 reading. My tank stays a constant 8.0 and if I buffer it, it only lasts a couple of days. Go figure, but I've never had a problem in over a year. Don't take this to mean that a .2 is not an issue. If you hit 7.8 you definitely need to buffer up, but 8.0 is fine.
Tangman :D

b_ball12_99

I got my pH to go up to 8.4 so I'm going to leave it at that. My pH will stay up for about 2 weeks then drop to the 8.0-8.1 and stay there constantly. I was most worried about it because it was the only off reading I had. Phosphates, nitrates, nitrites, ammon., were all 0 (amazes me esp. since I have cc and not ls, must be the 103 pounds lr, emperor 400, and berlin skimmers I run ;)) and calcium was at 450. I'll just let it go and stay at 8.1 or 8.0 for now on since its not a danger zone.