Skimmer on a FOWLR

hckycoz

Do you need a skimmer on a FOWLR tank. IF so, how long can i go without one? The tank will eventually be a reef tank but for finicial reasons it is not possible right now. I will have a sump and fuge underneith of it.

bawood

All tanks benefit from skimmer, FO perhaps the most as most have more fish than a reef of the size and fish produce more waste.
Protein skimmers are to remove disolved organics. The basically take care of the broken down proteins from food and cell replacement. Anything with livestock could see some benefit from some level of protein skimming. Eventually these protiens would break down, normally to nitrates and phosphates.

jumpfrog

Depending on the bio load. How many/size fish? How much water in the entire system?
A high load will increase organics leading to algeal blooms, poor water clarity and the fish could become stressed.
The need is subjective. I ran a 125 fish only and the amount of skimmate produced was amazing. Even a high load I didn't have much in the way of algea problems.
Your tank, your choice.
My advice, get a skimmer.
Good Luck!

hckycoz

I am goin to get a skimmer, but i really want to get the tank set up. I just dont have the money for a skimmer right now. I think that once the tank is up, it will motivate me to get one. So would it cause that many problems if i went a month or 2 with out one?