Skimmer on a timer?

drakken

I was wondering if it's OK to put a skimmer on a timer. My concern is that the water in the skimmer would go bad from just sitting there. I would put it on the same timer as my 10K light - 9 hours on a day.

adrian

The main thing I would worry about when running a skimmer on a timer, besides the water going stagnant, although I dont think it will be off long enough to cause a problem, is the fact that skimmers take a while to "warm up", ie it takes a while for the foam to build up and the skimmer to start collection. I guess this would depend on the type of skimmer though. Why would you want to put it on a timer?

phreakemup

I was asking the same thing a while ago, when I was cool on this board... But I never got any replies (pretty cool, huh!) But I was thinking along the lines of this
I have been running a skimmerless system for about a year, and all is well, I would just like the xtra security that a skimmer brings along w/ it. I also, only want to lightly skim, do to the fact that I have a lot of filter feeding inverts on my tank.. I think that once the skimmer "breaks in" for the first time, you should be ok, cuz it should still have the "slime coat" on the inside of the chamber, when you turn it back on the next day.. Basically, I'm saying that the skimmer is only going to be off at nite, and I personally dont think that's long enuf to make you have to break it back in again...
Phreak

drakken

The skimmer is a Prism. The reason I would want to turn it off is because it's in my bedroom. I'm pretty much used to it now but it would be quieter without it running.

nicky1.8t

is the skimmer a in tank one or add on skimmer, if its a out side skimmer, you could go down to tweeter,bestbuy,circiutcity and check in the caraudio section and grab some dynamt and wrap it around the skimmer it should quite it right up. i dont think you will want this stuff in your tank water though

shep

sweet idea, make that 1001 uses for dynamat. I was trying to kill some of the sound from my overflow and now I know my next method. Will try it tomorrow morning before work.