Skimmer on an Aquapod? or.. detritus solution?

sfoister

The qquestion is; Is it possible to put a skimmer on an aquapod? I have a 24 gallon aquapod. I have a major detritus issue, I've never seen so much of it! I removed the filter pads from behind the overflow today and put in about 4 lbs of LR rubble and folded up a sheet of filter padding and shoved it into the small slot on the pump side.
I think a skimmer would do a world of good on this thing but I don't see how that is possible. Anyone have any pictures of this being done? What else do you recommend I do to help this issue?
I can't do anything with my filtration without clouding up my tank! Help!

Also interested in the skimmer question. I am thinking of recommending one of these to a friend but am leary of having a tank with no skimmer.
Rich

legoalie31

If the protein is the stuff on the top of the tank then I put an airstone in my little tank and all of it went away sorry if this does not help!

clay12340

If the aquapod is using halides and does not have the standard hood then any of the Remora HoB line will do wonders.
If it has a hood it will probably take some sort of DIY cutting and modifications.

blb9

I have a 24 gallon jbj nano cube that used to have a similar problem. I could not figure out why my nitrates were constantly above 20ppm,and detritus seemed to flow out of the sand itself.
The culprit was, as it turns out, the sand. The aragonite/crushed coral grains were way to big to make a dsb, and the detritus seeped through the sand and polluted my nano for over a year before i corrected this problem.
I replaced the cc with home depot sand, which has reduced my nitrates to about 1ppm in little over a week. I got about a dozen bucketfulls of brown detritus water when i changed the sand.
Bottom line- check your sand, do water changes, and if you have crushedl, coral, vacuum it often.
Hope this helps-
Ben

chellie4u2

Are you having a problem with stuff being a top layer on your water??? I had this problem and the I created a waterfall effect on my filter area and it cleared up right away...

aquaguy24

current usa makes a skimmer for the nano forgot the name but i heard it sucks. i have 24g aquapod and doing great without skimmer.

sfoister

An update, I removed the filter pads from the back chamber, replaced them with LR rubble and put a small filter pad on the pump side that I seem to be cleaning weekly. It's catching some nasty crap. The stock filter pads just plain suck on these things. Completely worthless. Sure, they catch stuff, but they don't hold it. As I pull the pads out the stuff just drips right back into the tank, nonsense.
Anyway, issue solved.