Skimmer or Not?!

blutang

I'm getting a 15 gallon Eclipse aquarium soon and was wondering if I need or have to have a skimmer with it. It will be a fish only with about three fish?
Thanks in advance.
I know I posted this before, but I was hoping to create more post with this addition.
Later!

fish fry

Hey Blu Tang,
If you are just going to do FOWLR I would probably skip the skimmer. Just have a DSB and some rock.
If you are skipping the rock and sand (why would you do that?) then I would suggest the skimmer.
3 fish in a 15 might be overcrowded, depends on what you are planing to keep.
If you are planning a sump you might want to add some macro algae. I would avoid adding them to the regular tank since they might overtake it.
I'm not too familar with the Eclipse but if I remember correctly they have a wet-dry filter. If you could disable that you might be better. They seem to just add nitrate to the water. Although with a DSB maybe you won't have a problem. Try it, worse comes to worse if your nitrate readings are high you can disable the wet dry portion.
Good luck

mark-24

Also, put some caulerpa algea in. It will greatly help in maintaining the tank. You know how if you have a refugium with algea and stuff, that it works best without a skimmer, or vice versa.
-Mark

redhermit

been running a 15 gal eclipse for about a year now with only the standard filter cartridge and bio-wheel with great success. I keep about 1/2 to 1" cc with a couple of rock decorations. the tank inhabitants are a perc clown, coral beauty, red big-eyed squirrel and a red crab. do a 3 gal water change every other week and that's it .