skimmer producing no bubbles!

fmelindy

I have a Kent Nautilus ex 24" venturi skimmer and it is producing no bubbles whatsoever. It is in sump with a 6" length of flexible pvc to the pump which is a quiet one 4000. I don't know what could be wrong here. It has been setup now for over a month and still producing absolutely no bubbles in the skimmer body whatsoever. Anyone have any suggestions? I tried a more powerful pump and that did not help (just overflowed the skimmer) and have been talking to Kent's techincal support which so far has not been terribly helpful.

ssweet1

Do you know for sure that the pump is working? Also do you have the air tube up somewhere close to the bottom of the collection cup? It sounds as if you dont have the air tube connected.
Post a picture of how you have it set up, also make sure the seal(flex hose) is tight between the pump and the skimmer body. Fresh water will not produce bubbles, I am assuming you are using salt water though right?

lepete

Based on your description, you are running your pump externally. You need to run your pump in sump with an air hole attachment (It should come with your pump). The air hole is around 1/8" in diameter. You need to connect an air tube to this hole. Air needs to be sucked into the pump - before the impeller. The impeller will chop the air into tiny bubbles. These bubbles will enter the skimmer body.

nytrillium

You can buy a venturi fitting for the pump.. I dont think that the skimmer comes with anything on it so you need to supply your own. i have the kent marine 3/4 inch venturi valve running my Berlin HO and its great. You may be able to find one thats 1" because i think thats the size of the output on your pump right?

fmelindy

The venturi is supposed to be inside the skimmer body. The pump is in sump and connected to the skimmer directly by a 6" long piece of flex pvc. According to kent marine, I don't need to supply the air because the venturi is in the skimmer body and supplied by an air tube that is attached to the skimmer body. Yes, I am using saltwater :thinking: All the tubes are connected securely and the pump is definitely working, when I turn it off, all the water exits the skimmer body in a hurry.

tjake68

maybe stupid question are u using any additves or meds in your tank some will make your skimmer throw out to many bubbles some will coat skimmer and no bubbles will produce try cleaning skimmer with white vineger wash off good and try again just some ideas good luck

fmelindy

just calcium and buffer and that would hardly cause that for over a month. I washed the unit prior to installing it.

nytrillium

" when I turn it off, all the water exits the skimmer body in a hurry."
What do you mean by this? Is your skimmer above the tank? Or are you trying to pump water from your sump back up to your tank through the skimmer? Or is it in the sump? Im not sure. If everything is hooked up i would check to see that the intake for the venturi isnt clogged. that would cause it to not let any air into the skimmer thus.. no bubbles. other than that i couldnt really help you. Maybe call the manufacturer. My new berlin ho was broken when they sent it and they sent a replacement immediately.

fmelindy

it just means that the water leaves the skimmer when the pump is unplugged, hence the pump is working. I already stated that both the skimmer and pump are located in the sump. The reason why I posted here is because I have contacted the manufacturer and they didn't have any helpful suggestions thus far.

squidd

The venturi is supposed to be inside the skimmer body.
"If" I'm thinking of the right unit, the venturi is in a little block at the base of the skimmerbetween where the pump hose connects and the skimmer chamber...
Should be a "removable" venturi, (they sell different sizes depending on Ozone use, forced air or static draw...)
Should be a "screw cap" covering it...
Open it up and see if you even "have" a venturi or the proper one...maybe they didn't ship it with unit...:thinking:

dogstar

Also make make sure the AIR TUBE to the skimmer is not glogged or kinked and that it is above the water. Its normal for the water in the skimmer to drain to the level of the water in the sump back out thru the pump when turned off.

fmelindy

I know that, I was only saying it to prove that the pump was working. The air tube is not clogged and is correctly placed. The venturi is inside the skimmer body.

squidd

The venturi is inside the skimmer body.
You've seen it...? Can we see it...Can you take a pic..?

fmelindy

well it would be hard to take a pic of as it is situated between two pvc tubes within the skimmer body, but, yes, I've seen it.

fmelindy

I know my rendering looks like crap but this is how the venturi is situated in the skimmer body (the big rectangle).

hmmhmm

i just got the same skimmer....looks like im having the same problem...but i think my pump is under powered...im using a CAP 1800 (600gph) and i don't think its moving the water fast enough to create a 'vacum' to suck the air into the mixing chamber...so for now i am using a air pump to push air into the line until my bigger pump gets here. or did you find another way to get it to work good?

granny

This may seem rather simplistic-and I dont have a kent skimmer, but a Euro=tech, which I love. On the end of my plastic tubing-the part above the water, there is a small valve that you open and shut. If the valve is open, no bubbles, close the valve and you adjust the amount of bubbles coming up. By any chance is the valve missing on yours or is it completely closed?

hmmhmm

there is a plastic 'cap' on top of the plastic line...but its not a valve...i have another skimmer that has the valve system...so im familiar with that setup....there isn't a way to adjust the air flow with this cap from what i see....so i took it off and ran the air tubing to it w/ a pump to force the bubbles into the chamber...