Skimmer question

quads4_lif

Ok how do these darn things work. Mine makes bubbles by the millions and makes my tank look like a white cloud. My tank has only been up for three weeks.
I know that they are supposed to foam up some nasty stuff, but all mine does is either overflow with just microbubble water or nothing I have never used one so I am sure I am doing something stupid. any ideas other than I am an idiot that aint got a clue

Mine is like the one in the picture except the air hose connects to my pump instead of the intake line and the line coming out of the collection cup is just an airline tube.
:help:

joshradio

unfortunately there is a "break in" period... a lot of times there isn't enough waste to skim... adjust the flow rate and that sometimes takes care of the problems... what livestock do you have in your tank?

barelycuda

I have a skimmer similar to yours. The paperwork with mine said it had a 72 hr break in time but I have heard of other skimmers taking longer. Adjust the water level down with the red nob during the break in & then slowly raise the level up until you have only a dry foam entering the collection cup. Hope this helps.
Cuda

quads4_lif

Thanks I will let it breakin.
I dont have any live stock other than 2 small hermit crabs and 3 small snails.
How high up the tube should I have the water level??? Should it be in the collection cup or just at the bottom of it?

schunior

make sure the part that goes in the water, that pumps the water into the skimmer, is not more than 3 inches below the surface of the water. I was getting what you are going through until I noticed mine was down about six inches, once I moved it closer to the surface the bubbles started and the skimmer has been working perfectly since then.

fishy7

I have this same issue. What I have done so far, let it break in and make "small" adjustments each day till you find that perfect spot. It's taken me about 3 weeks of tweeking to get it close to that perfect balance. Patience is the only word that comes to mind. Very frustrating, but hang in there.
:mad: :mad:

quads4_lif

Also my overflow is produceing alot of bubbles in my sump. It is makeing a suction comeing down the tube and causeing it to gulp some air wich is pushed into my sump can I just put a valve on it to slow the draining I have a (redneck) pair of vicegrips on the hose now and it is not sucking air. Will a valve be ok to do the same thing???