Skimmer question

phixer

For a large tank is it better to use 2 smaller skimmers or 1 larger one? Is there a noticable difference? The reason Im asking is because for the price of some of the larger skimmers 2 smaller ones could be purchased. Any ideas?
Thanks

thegrog

You could argue for both cases and still not have a correct answer.
IMO, it is not the number or size of the skimmer that truely matters, but the quality of the skimmer. You could put 5 Seaclones on a tank and a single ASM or AquaC will outskim them all!!!
I have seen setups with multiple skimmers mainly for space purposes. They could not fit a large (tall) skimmer into the space or the footprint was too big. Other than that, most will go with a larger skimmer.
The main reason the price is so much more is the larger pumps on the skimmers. The larger the pump, the price goes up exponentially.
What size tank are you looking to skim???
hope this helps

phixer

This particular tank is pretty hefty. I havent figured the gallons but if it can be constructed from plywood it will be about 20FT long 3FT wide and 3FT tall.

thegrog

Originally Posted by Phixer
This particular tank is pretty hefty. I havent figured the gallons but if it can be constructed from plywood it will be about 20FT long 3FT wide and 3FT tall.
WOW!!! :scared: That is around 1,300 gallons!!!!
You may want to consider the ASM G6 or the AquaC EV2000. Perhaps adding a second mid-range skimmer (300-500 gallon rating) along with that! Perhaps building your own large-scale skimmer.
What you are talking about is a huge project. Think this one all the way through before starting.
good luck!

scsinet

Originally Posted by Phixer

COOL!!!!

Did you build this? PLANS PICS DETAILS!!!
With this much gallonage you could put an RK2 on there or something.
One could argue that with an investment this serious, 2 skimmers is better, because (and you've undoubtably found this out yourself as well) once you get up to those really big skimmers, the price goes up by orders of magnitude, and because a little redundancy never hurt anyone.
Hmmm a matched pair of AquaC EVs, Deltecs, or MRCs would be where I'd be looking...

phixer

Two projects in the planning stage but moving closer. Now that we have the acrylic, the LR and some of the support equipment it's a matter of getting the time. Thanks to a friend and top notch craftsman who built a well documented 1700 gallon shark tank in the basement of his old house (which happened to be right up the road from us)
this project will become a reality.
Ive been planning this project for a long time but probably wont have the time to do it until winter 2007 or summer 2008. When we build it, it will be well documented and hopefully will inspire more folks to undertake DIY projects. Im not much of a pictures guy but will be sure to take lots when the construction starts. The 4X8 tank will ply/fiberglass construction and will be a replica of the 1700 gallon shark tank Joe made. The 20 footer will be lined with Sanitred and use two 10 FT panels seperated by a center divider. Thanks for asking.