Skimmer Question

bowfish

I have a coralife 220 skimmer and I need some advice on the tubing that comes from the pump to the skimmer. The instructions only mention that the pump needs to be at least 4 inches of water. Thats no problem but if you will notice in the picture that the hose supplied is longer than needed. The question I have is can I cut this piece of pipe to fit or do I just need to raise the entire skimmer.

acrylic51

I don't see an issue with cutting the line, but you might want to actually put the skimmer into operation before making any cuts.......I'm pretty sure your sump will have more water depth than 4"???
4" is barely enough to cover the skimmer pump......

acrylic51

Sorry should have added just because the directions state that it operates in 4" of water doesn't mean that it's going to operate at it's optimum at that level......It might turn out the skimmer operates best at 6" or 8".....Again I suggest running the skimmer to find the best operating level for it before making any alterations to the skimmer, but that hose can easily be replaced at any hardware store.....