Skimmer Questions

zincoxide

I was wondering if venturi style skimmers are better than airstone skimmers?
I've done a little searching around and it seems as though venturi are better but one draw back is the air bubbles have less contact time with the water.
I was thinking of making a venturi skimmer but instead of having the water/air mixture come into the chamber and down, I was thinking of having it go through 3 or 4 feet of 1/4" tubing coiled around and around until it gets to the bottom where it will enter the chamber.
Would something like this work? Am I on the right track?
Budget is a huge concern and cannot afford a ton of money to buy a skimmer, that's why I was going to make one.

dw62

I'm not an expert, but I believe that the airstones eventually will get clogged and need cleaned alot. Isn't your concept similar to a home made denitrator? Not sure you would have enough flow through the tubing to effectively skim enough.
Just my 2 cents worth!!

acrylic51

Both style skimmers mentioned worked well in their own respects, but with either they have their limitations.....the airstone skimmer to get proper contact time would have to be huge.....If you do a search way back on a guy in PA use to own Rons' Saltwaterheaven use to make these skimmers that were pretty decent, but the things were like 5' tall.....
Venturi skimmers are good skimmers again, but with all the advances in the hobby not real efficient IMO......they are still made though, by some companies....

acrylic51

Either style can be built, but it's alittle more detail than what meets the eye when it comes to building a skimmer properly........

acrylic51

Here's some insight.....there is another really good site that is really detailed when it comes to things like this....The site is ReefCentral dot com....you will need to join that site as well, and the search engine is rough at time, but you'll need to look in the DIY forum........There are guys that will give you tips on what you need to look for and consider.......These guys aren't building "toys" and they have good experience, so it's not for the faint hearted
There is alot more involved to building a productive, efficient skimmer other than will it fit in my stand and such.....Like I'm advising go to that site and ask and read the information.....I don't think you'll find a better site than that.....Those guys build some crazy stuff!!!!!!HTH

murph

IMO your time and effort would be better spent finding a way to come up with some extra money. I just recently bought a Coralife SS 220 delivered second day air for less than 200.
Considering the parts and pump you would probably have a third of that into a home made skimmer anyway.
See if there is a local reef club that a member might be selling a used skimmer or look in the phone book for a business that sets up and maintains commercial displays (not an LFS). These businesses often don't have store fronts but do have used equipment they are probably willing to sell.
At any rate a straight venturi or air driven skimmer will come nowhere near performing like the newer needle wheel configurations. A skimmer is probably the most important part of a tanks filtration and in the long run the best way to save money is to buy a quality skimmer at the get go and be done with it.
IMO best bang for the bucks are either coralife or ASM brand. Keep in mind manufactures overate there products so buy the next size up from the one the manufacture recommends for your size tank.

zincoxide

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Hey Zincoxide, just out of curiousity what size tank are you talking about building a skimmer for?
90g DT and a sump which will probably hold 10g-15g.

acrylic51

Honestly for a tank that size, the time, and money, let alone research factor, you could get a nice off the shelf skimmer......

acrylic51

Not trying to twist your arm or discourage anyone from doing DIY project, but honestly, the price of acrylic or PVC, then glue on top of that......for a air driven unit a good air pump will set you back.....air stones.......For a venturi skimmer a good mazzi venturi isn't cheap......you could use the cheaper Kent versions, but if you ever played with the mazzi the Kent wouldn't be an option......

zincoxide

Can someone please recommend the most cost effective and efficient skimmer? I'm ready to pull my hair out looking for one.
Cost is a major factor.
I would like it to go in the sump, not the DT.
It is for a 90g DT with a 10-15g sump (total water about 100g).
Will be starting with FOWLR and will eventually be getting corals and clams.

cgrant

I like my coralife ss220, pulls out alot of crud! Price is great!
I think ESU has a couple of new people working in the warrantee dept and I think the sun has not shed on them in a while!