Skimmer Recommendations, HELP!

elchoryla

I need a skimmer reccomendation for a 20 gal tank!! I dont want it to be overpowerfull so i can have it on all day, please let me know what u recommend i get, thanks

birdy

do you need a hang on back or in sump?
I am assuming HOB, honestly I do not believe in overskimming, so I would go with either a aqua c remora or a cpr bak pak. Those are about the only two hob skimmers that are worth spending ANY money on IMO.

snipe

I guess im a risk taker I use a jebo 180 alot of other do to and I love it IMO couldnt find a better skimmer in its price range or any were around that!

lion_crazz

I have a lot of people come back and tell me that they are much happier with the excalibur than they are with the BakPak. I do not like the BakPak's at all. I would say the best two are Excaliburs and Remoras.
I also agree, I don't believe in any such thing as over skimmer. On my 75, I have a skimmer that would be adequate for a 125.

nosmada

ive had absolutly nothing but good luck with my seaclone...contrary to popular belief they do work. i did do the limestone mod to give it that extra boost.

clintau

I use a sea clone that can either be a HOB or in Sump. It works fine in 65. I also used to use in my 40 breeder.
About over skimming I feel you can over skim. I do very little skimming turn in on for one day 2-3 times a month. I also have a light bio-load (2 fish for now). When I uprade the fish volume I will increase to 4-5 days per month. Soft corals tend to grow faster with lighter skimming.
Depends on what your trying to do.

rubberduck

Originally posted by Snipe
I guess im a risk taker I use a jebo 180 alot of other do to and I love it IMO couldnt find a better skimmer in its price range or any were around that!

how much is that?

snipe

It was $57 with shipping. It couldnt work better last night I thought I might of over fed and this morning my collection cup was almost over flowing with gunk. I had to empty my collection cup first thing it is taking it alittle slower now.

edwar050

snipe, do you have any mods with the jebo, i found the link you were talking about yeah its like 64 bones. I need a skimmer really bad, hang on prefered bc my tank is to hard to sump believe it or not with the stand. Its for a 55, bioload 1 coral beauty, two black chromis, two green chromis, and 1 large GBTA.
How much gunk does it pull out, what are the +'s and -'s of the skimmer efficancy as compaired to lets say seaclone

snipe

Well the draw back are it takes about a week for it break in and it takes awhile to get it set right. Once you get it set right then it will work great. The water line also effects this. I love it and think I did very well getting it. Well I can empty it and over night have around an inch or so of stuff in it the next morning give or take depending on how mutch gunk there was to take out. Like I said that one night it almost filled the collection cup cause I over fed.

edwar050

thanks snipe, I just ordered one, goo dstuff thanks for the extremely fast reply, I need a skimmer extremely bad, I have a really good shot at nocking out my little bit of green algae before it spreads, thanks man for the advice, would you put an air valve on it or use a wooden airstone, I have extras and think that might help, any suggestions, how quiet is yours, I understand you get what you pay for, although my old skilter on my 30 gallon was very very loud. Thanks again,
brad

snipe

If you bought a jebo 180 then you wont need an airstone or anything. It comes all setup and ready all you have to do is atach the plastic peice to the skimmer attach the powerhead to the plastic tube and place the air line into the powerhead. It is simple and dont require any airstones or anything. Mine is in the front room so it has to be somewhat quite. If I keep my water level the same and dont bother it is pretty quite. You have to clean the air tub out every now and then "Stupid salt creep" but other than that it really isnt a bother.
This is a few days work. I have it set so there is water in there to so it is easy to empty.

edwar050

from what I have seen this appears to be an excellent skimmer especially for the 29-55 tank that would have a hard time sumping like mine. I cant drill my glass for some reason, and the bottom is made for a wet dry, not a 30 sump. thanks for the little mod on cutting the airline tubing just below the clip part.
? How far does the skimmer stick out from your tank, how large/tall would you say it is? thanks for the + feedback on the skimmer.

snipe

Well there is a place that is made for the air adjustment to set in there. The tube the give you is to long. I would put it all together then put the tube on to get the right length dont want to cut to short. If you mess up on it all it is is airline hose.
I would say around 4 inches you want around 4 1/2 to 5 inches so the top isnt pushed forward if it is then water will come out around the collection cup. It is probly around 12 to 13 inches tall. They also have the jebo quadplex I was gonna get one of thoughs but when I priced them they were $70 and versus the $57 I gave just wasnt worth it. They have come down now one guy has one forsale buy it now brand new in box for $24 pretty good since everything has been going up. Same way with jebo lights they were like $40 when I looked at them when january first rolled around they shot up to $80 same way with base rock from hirocks it went up around $10.
Getting off subject but that awsneres your ?'s plus some lol.

edwar050

thanks snipe, I have noticed the jebo lights shooting up somewhat as well. I guess when you start taking some of the market after time product prices usually tend to increase steadily. We kinda jacked the thread in a way, although its good to get this kinda useful info in.