Skimmer Ugrade Help

newbfish

Hey everyone,
I'm deciding to upgrade to a better skimmer and would like opinions on quality, set up and noise.
Tank is a 30gal.
AquaC Remora Hang-On Protein Skimmer w/ Drain Fitting + Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump

Red Sea Prizm Pro Deluxe Hang-on Protein Skimmer

ViaAqua Multi-Skimmer Deluxe w/ 5W UV Sterilizer

CPR Bak-Pak 2R+ Reef Ready Protein Skimmer

casper1875

Aqua C. Noise can be fixed with a paper towel. The only thing I don't like is the mag in the water. Quick and easy to clean.

newbfish

Okay, I was also leaning toward the AquaC so if I get it you've got to tell me how to fix the noise with a paper towel.

newbfish

The only thing I want to keep are xenia, shrooms, and zoas.
Fish will only be a few chromis, and a clown with an anemone to go along with it. Will that skimmer do it?

joncat24

I think you should take a look at the octopus hang ons. They have one that has the pump/pumps in the skimmer body instead of in the tank. It is very mininmal tank intrusion. I think it is a 300h or something along those lines. I have seen it in operation, and it is a very nice hang on.

casper1875

I use only white paper towels. I fold it into a rectangle that will fit over the jet pipe. Then wet it with tank water. Take the collection cup out. When you look down into it there are three chambers. The jet, where the bubbles come up and the water return area (I hope you like my tech words)
Place the paper towel over the jet area. Block off the whole area with the paper towel, and then replace the collection cup. I change it when I empty my cup.

snakeblitz33

AquaC if you can't find anything else. You should though look at a coralife super skimmer for 65gallon. Those things pull out a heap of gunk.
Also, I would also look into the Bermuda Rogue. It's ha HOB skimmer, same as everyone else. This one lady has one on her 120 gallon reef tank and it works amazingly, she says.

joncat24

The bermuda rogue is a great skimmer. Also if you are looking at great hang ons, look at the CNC marine hang on. It is coming out this week and will be the best hang produced IMO. Although it is a little more expensive than the aqua c's and stuff in that range, it will seriously out perform all of them.
One user that tested it, said that it shut down his bermuda rougue when he put it on the tank.