skimmer under the tank?

joyfnp

Can someone tell me if this is possible?
I have a newly set up 75 gallon with a magnum 350, fluval 305, and one power head. It is a conversion from a fresh water cichlid tank to marine. I have an unknown number of pounds of base rock and several pieces of cured live rock on a bed of about 2 inches of sand.
I wonder if there is a way to somehow add a protein skimmer underneath the tank, between the tank and the intake into either of the filters. I would use a hang on skimmer like bak pak, but only have 3 inches of clearance between the tank and the wall. I don't really want to drain the tank and move it out from the wall, although probably will if there's no other relatively easy way to add the skimmer.
Can anyone help?

joyfnp

hoping to get a reply to my question ----
Maybe I should post this in the equipment forum??
Thanks but my question got bumped to the second page without any replies so I thought I'd try again.

spiked09

I was hoping it was possible too but it's not, sorry. The skimmer must sit above the water line of your display tank.

nigerbang

Thats what I was going to say..that is the only way I know to do it...put it in the sump..If you really want it on the back without paying for a wet/dry, pump, overflow, etc..I would just move the tank...easier said than done I know, but its the only way that I can think of

saltn00b

can you put it on the side of the tank instead of the back?
otherwise you need a sump type set up.
if you do end up emptying the tank then for tanks 75g and smaller i recommend those large furniture sliders from the H. depot. the can hold like 3500 lbs and are great for when you need to make slight adjustments, or move a tank clear across a room!

dogstar

If you really have 3 inches of clearance then look at the AquaC Remoras. They hang on the tank but only need 2 3/4 inches....