Skimmer up grade.

quis

I have a Ecalibur HV-1 that is putting out millions of micro bubles into my tank, which makes it annoying to look at. The tank is 30 gal, and as been set up for three months, the skimmer is three months old so it should have been through it's breakin period. I want to upgrade to a hang-on tank skimmer that is not going to put milions of micro bubles into the tank. I need you guys and gals help on what skimmer to get so I don't waste my money on a skimmer that is still going to put micro bubles in the tank. Thanks in advance for everyones help.

fedukeford

i have a amiracle mini quad on my 55 and it works GREAT, theres a couple bubbles here and there but not too many, i got mine for $100

pallan

i had luck with the cpr backpak once i got the bubble trap and surface skimmer box. problem is the box is big and would look kinda bulky in a 30 gallon. Ive heard good things about the remora line of skimmers.
I now run a coral life super skimmer and i have tons of bubbles but there in my sump so i dont care, and have not tried to get them to go away as they dissapate before getting to the return pump.

quis

I would buy a Remora, but I would have to be sure that it won't put micro bubbles into the tank. Can anyone with a Remora skimmer tell me how it performs as far as micro bubbles going into the tank?

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by Quis
mudplayerx thanks for the link, but it doesn't say anything about micro bubbles.
The skimmers that are recommended in that link generally have bubble diffusers or function without the need for one. I apologize if the link was unhelpful. Someone should come along soon and help you out better. I personally use a Coralife Super Skimmer and have no complaints about microbubbles. The diffuser supplied works great and the pricetag was very cheap.

quis

Mudplayerx is your bubble diffuser on the Coralife Super Skimmer bulky? I'm asking because in my 30 gal it might be too much to the eye.

uberlink

I have a remora, and it releases very few bubbles into the water EXCEPT when there's something bubbly in the water. For example, my frozen food contains a bit of gelatin to hold it together. If I overfeed, the water bubbles a ton. I think that goes for any skimmer, but there's a possible lesson there for you: Are you using anything in your tank that could contribute to the bubbles, such as stress coat or the like?

quis

Uberlink, no stress coat, the only thing that I put in the water is food, and I don't think that I'm feeding the tank too much.