Skimmer Vibrations And Sound Brothering Fish

Hey everyone and thanks for checking out my post,

Just added three small fish to my 55 gallon and everyone is hiding and not eating. I have a reef octopus 100 and the pump is inside the tank, (didn't know this when I bought it) it's very loud and vibrates the tank, do you think the skimmer is the problem?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Could be if it is actually vibrating. Is it leaning up against the glass?

lmforbis

You can wrap it in a silicone pad intended to be used in the kitchen. Oxo makes some. BRS has a video on oxo kitchen products used in aquariums.

Thanks you guys I'm still new to this...

He is out and active now, still not eating but that could be these cheap "Cobalt Dried Shrimp" which aren't shrimp at all. I had some freeze dried shrimp coming yesterday with him in the mail but there was ordering problems (long story short debit card was lost and purchase got cancelled) but I got some new life spectrum food coming tomorrow with more salt in the mail.

I don't have any good marine pet stores around here so it makes things a lot more difficult....You ever have a fish refuse food? If so what's the longest period of time? Ever lose a fish because it wouldn't eat?

Would you try to feed him human spinach? I'm slightly worried there might be pesticides on it, ( I mean we eat it and I would wash it) but I'm also worried he will starve if I wait until tomorrow for the new life spectrum.

I got him yesterday morning..

I know this isn't a good way to start off! LOL

lmforbis

Sometimes it takes a few days for the fish to get comfortable and eat. That is one reason for using a quarantine tank. It allows you to control the environment, make sure the fish is eating well, and observe for disease.

geridoc

Did I ever have a fish that refused food??? I wish I had ten cents for every fish that never began to eat after I bought it during my 41 years of marine fishkeeping. Fish will refuse food for a variety of reasons, some minor (stress of a new environment) to truly deadly ( parasite infections), and dozens of reasons in between. Since we are talking about new fish in your case, it could be combination of things. The tank environment is new, so the fish are probably scared. They may not recognize the food as food, so they don't know they are supposed to eat it. They may be ill with a parasite. New fish should be placed in a small quarantine tank and provided with familiar foods (I generally start with something like "Marine Cuisine" which has a mix of organisms in it, or even diced cocktail shrimp or clam (freeze it first to kill any possible hitchhikers). Most fish (except, for example, mandarins that eat only copepods, or tangs that need greens) will eventually take one of those foods, or brine shrimp (nutritionally zero, but can be used to train fish to eat). I then carefully observe the new fish for any signs of disease (scratching, rapid breathing, etc.) for several weeks. If I am suspicious about the source of the newcomer I will prophylacticly treat with a parasiticide or copper (know the particular species of fish, some don't do well in one treatment or another). After the fish is feeding, fat, and recognizes me as the source of all good things it is time for the animal to meet the display tank. You just have to accept that some fish will never adapt, will not eat, and eventually die. All we can do is try to provide conditions and food that the fish finds acceptable, and hope.

I washed it thoroughly tossed it in ( it floats need to buy a magnet) puffer didn't eat it. Going to give it a few more minutes and remove it...

pegasus

You didn't mention what the fish are, other than a puffer in your last post. The puffer is more likely to eat meat than spinach. One thing I've found that all fish love is frozen mysis shrimp. If you can't find any locally, you can mince table shrimp to get the feeding process started. As doc mentioned, freeze it to kill any potential parasites or bacteria. I used to use a small-cube ice tray to freeze my minced shrimp in. You'll want to use tank water to freeze it in, also. I feed Cobalt Mysis Spirulina, and all my fish love it. I've never had a problem with fish accepting it as a food within a day or two.

Okay thanks guys, so when I got to the store today you suggest shrimp and cut it up? Will this help file his teeth down? He or she is a mimic valentini puffer so it has a small mouth compared to other puffers.