Skimmer Woes

martymcfly

I have a Top Fathom skimmer and it has not been working correctly for several months now. Over the past few months it has not been collecting like it should. It is been collecting a light green watery solution (see pic.). Upon an inital search on the boards it appeared as tho the skimmer was running wet, but after adjusting the water level and amount of bubbles I was still slowly getting that same light green solution. I have spoken to the folks at Top Fathom and their only advice was to try cleaning the skimmer and getting a more powerful pump. I have given it a thurough cleaning and have since attatched a mag 9.5 to it but to no avail. This has been pretty discouraging as my nitrates have been staying at ~20 for the past few months and I have been waiting to add any new fish until I have fixed the skimmer problem. I would like to continue adding to my tank but I won't until everything is working as it should. Would my tank be ok if I sent the skimmer into the folks at Top Fathom to be looked at (not sure how long it would be gone)? Or Should I just bite the bullet and go out and get a new skimmer? I'm just pissed because it's not working the way it should and I already spent $90.00 on a new pump that did absolutely nothing to help the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

spanko

Don't know anything about this particular skimmer but can you adjust the bubble output of the pump so that it is coming up just about to where your hand is? Then if there is something to skim, which may be another problem with it if you don't have any proteins in the tank because there are no fish, it will build up the bubble column so that it "pulses" up into the tube in the cup and overflows with a dryer skimmate. Your may just be the light green color because there is nothing to skim.

stanlalee

not possible with a "working" skimmer. does yours have the clear top? does there seem to be an appropriate amount of bubbles/air draw. Looks like its not pulling air? Did you clean the airline and venturi (the pipe/nozzle where the water input and airline attaches)? I'd be looking along that pathway for salt creep or some sort of small blockage.

nordy

I think that air is the key here-you need just the right amount so that the bubbles -just-reach the top of the tube, and no more. It's protiens in the bubbles that collaps that are what you want to collect and too many bubbles means too much water in the skimmate. I think that your skimmer is actually skimming, but that it is just too wet-the skimmate is diulted more than it needs/should be.

martymcfly

Yes I have a clear top and I am definitely pulling air as I can hear it and see that there are lots of bubbles being made. I have done a very good cleaning and the air line other than being a little discolored is clear of debris. Also just a couple weeks ago I took everything apart and cleaned everything including the venturi which was not evern that dirty. While doing this I made sure that there were no blockages in any of the plumbing. Included is a pic of the bubbles being made and the current skimmate. I will try cutting some of the air a little and see if this does anything but I have played with the air and water levels and it seems as tho I either produce a fair amount of this light skimate or I just slowly produce it...no change in color or consistancy. Thanks for all the insight thus far I apreciate the help and I am open to and hoping for any more comments/suggestion.
A shot of the bubbles and skimmate produced over the last 3-4 days