skimmer

musclefish

I just bought a turboflotor 1000 multi. I wanted to know from anybody that is using one, did they add the multi filter box, and is it worth it? I have mine sitting on the back of my sump since there is not enough to put in in the sump. Also if anybody has any general comments about the skimmer would be appreciated. I am using it on a 135gallon.

davyb

I just got one this week and I love it, it works great! Got it on monday and in one day it was pulling out green gunk and making good dry foam. I did not get the box you are talking about though. So how do you like it? I think it is a great skimmer.

mburnickas

I also have the turbo 1000 multi and like it. I have it on the back due to easier to access it and I'm using (1) of the boxes to reduce bubbles in the main tank.
I have also put some 3/4 flex tubing to make the water enter the water smoother on the outlets to again reduce bubbles. I am going to get some foam to stop the micro bubbles in main tank.
One thing I have read on this board and agree 100%. When cleaning do NOT rub your finger on the cup inner surface (where foam enters the cup). It makes the skimmer produce a lot of wet foam.
This is my first skimmer and I am going to have my first reef tank and the water has never looked this clean. It is unreal. Wish I got one years ago.....

davyb

I put some flex tube on mine also, it help the sound of running water in my fuge and now i cant even here it. :joy:

mburnickas

DavyB- Question since you also have one. Do the micro bubbles ever stop. I have rad yes but after 3 weeks not yet.
Also you like R/c stuff..cool. I am in to heli's

davyb

I put some foam in each of the black boxes and that seems to work good, it is on my fuge though and not in the tank so I really never looked for bubbles. I put in the foam to help quiet the sound of water,but it also helped the bubbles. I have only had it for about 2 weeks now so it is still new also.

davyb

I tried a heli one time and never got it off the ground and so I went back to my airplanes I can fly them alot better. Guess I was always flying my plane and just forgot about the heli so I never learned how to fly it

robvia

mburnickas, or anyone else that can answer,
How do you clean the gook of the surface if you don't use your finger? It won't come off just running water over it. At least mine won't. I do get wet foam, but had no idea that you should be getting dry foam.
I also used some foam to let the water spill into. It worked great on both bubbles and noise. It would seem to me that any way you could get the water coming out of the skimmer to go through some foam and get into the tank without splashing, will eliminate any bubble problem. I have a seaclone 150 and cut a groove out of a foam block. Then put the spout into the groove. I got the foam block at angelsplus dot com.
Rob

davyb

I just dump the cup out when I clean mine, I think the gook on the inside of the cup helps the dry foam to rise up to the top and overflow, so I dont clean it unless I have to.:yes:

robvia

I just used block foam. Not an accessory for anything. $1.50 for a 4 inch cube. When the water runs through the foam, the bubbles get broken up, or filtered out, however you want to describe it. My bubbles stopped in about 10 seconds after putting the foam in. I don't have a good picture, but I will try to get one and post it.
Rob