Skimmer

ccc

which protein skimmer should i be using on my 55 gallon? is it really necessary? how often do i need to change the skimmer cup?

G

gpoll34910

I am far from an expert, but one look at the scum that you get out of your skimmer will quickly answer your question. In my opinion the skimmer is invaluable....
Originally posted by CCC:
which protein skimmer should i be using on my 55 gallon? is it really necessary? how often do i need to change the skimmer cup?

kirk

Yes, you definitely need a protein skimmer, they gather all your fish waste, toxic ammonia symptoms, I have a 55 gal fish only live sand, live rock, also I would suggest a 8 watt sterilizer, especially if you have ich-prone tangs, this will kill 98% of the parasites, and keep your water crystal clear. As far as protein skimmer the bio-skim 600 is a good one, it acts as sub-filter too. that fish place 129.99, pet stores 200.00

krazzydart

It depends on what type of system you are running is it a fish only or what??? how often do you do water changes...all of this is important[

reef rebel

I'm using a CPR backpack with a 55 gallon
set-up. It's really easy to use and skims
like crazy. The scum that it sucks up has
been incredible. The use of a skimmer answers
itself when you use one. I'd recommend getting one reguardless of what's in your tank.