skimmer

mar

i was curious how important a skimmer filter is and is there a way if you can tell if its working right. Mine is submersed in my wetdry goo/bad

In my opinion Skimmers are essential, depending on the type of skimmer you have it will most likely have a cup at the top. If it is working properly it will pick up some nasty stuff and deposit it in the cup. I have to empty my Seaclone about once a week, but usually do it more often because it looks nasty. What kind do you have?

fshhub

are you reffering to a pre filter for your skimmer?
If so , wheras your skimmer is in so much goo, I might consider one, they are not essential, but it would probably help your kimmer, however, you might wind up having to clean your pre filter more often.
If not, and you are refferring to the skimmer as being a filter, then, they can be a great help, at keeping your nitrates down.
Do you have a reef, aor are you planning on going reef, in the future? If so, are you having any troouble with your nitrates? Wet/dry s have been known to contribute to nitrates, if you are having a problem, keeping them down, you may wish to consider turning it in to a sump or refugium, in the future(just remove the media slowly , alittle at a time; to avoid any spikes).IMO a refugium is better for nitrate control, and a good bio filter is better for filtration (dsb&lr), than a wet/dry, however this is just IMHO
HTH and good luck :D

Originally posted by mar:
<STRONG>i was curious how important a skimmer filter is and is there a way if you can tell if its working right. Mine is submersed in my wetdry goo/bad</STRONG>
haha your not supposed to use a a filter that has a built in skimmer for a salt water tank. those are for fresh water tanks only. if i wer eyou you should take that back.

nosmada

SaltWaterIsSoCooL
what are you talking about ?? you dont use skimmers on fresh water. some skimmers have a pre filter although i just think he was using the wrong termanology, and PLEASE stop quoting EVERY post.
thank you in advance,
chris
[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: Nosmada ]